Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:57 pm

All times are

Post subject: Sony NEX-5N
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:44 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

The current build I have at home I could take photos of is a photo only box, just because I made a mistake in the build and put the Safari controller to far under the Cable Lock through tube. Because of this I could not get two backpackers on the Safari board. The second backpacker would control the lights for video.

So this is how the hack and build went. Opening the NEX-5N is pretty straight forward. 4 screws takes off the top cover. One under the USB cover, one under the flash adapter cover and two in the battery compartment. Once off four wires attached to the camera. Three on the shutter button, one on the video button. Sorry I do not have good photos of this but the white wire is the common, black wakes the camera, red is the shutter and yellow is the video.
Ill post a better photo next time I hack this. If anyone wants details on the wire locations contact me.
The NEX-3 or NEX-5 cameras do not have as good a sensor, and access to the hack is difficult requiring the removal of 11 flat wires. The video hack is next to impossible. If your interested in this setup just go ahead and get the NEX-5N. Will save you a lot of trouble.

I used a Pelican 1120 box, pretty small for a DSLR quality camera. Using the Sony SEL 16f2.8 or even better SEL 20f2.8 lens you do not need to put a snorkel on the box. If you use a Nikkor film lens you'll need a Snorkel or a 1300 pelican box. With the 1300 you'll not need a snorkel.

Currently I have the camera setup for wireless flash but could easily add an external wire for wired flashes.

For the flash control I used a hot shoe converter on the camera (the NEX-5 series takes a special adapter available on ebay) and wired it to the Pixel Rook Transmitter. You will also need the hot shoe adapter if you are building a wired flash box. Connecting the camera to the Safari board I used a USB extension cable which gave me both ends and cut it in half attaching one end to the camera hack wires and the other to the safari board.

The camera will shoot 16mp RAW, JPEG or both, and video up to 1920X1080 60P. The sensor in the NEX series is the APSC size, much larger than a point and shoot giving you much crisper photos and video.

I always set the camera on manual focus. The camera has a great focus assist feature zooming the view X10 so you can see what your focused on. It also has focus peaking showing you just where the best focus is.

Ralph at Safari has all the current software we developed to make the camera work correctly. Make it easy on yourself and just go ahead and get your sensor from Safari.

Post subject: Re: Sony NEX-5N
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:29 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Nice job on that build Dan. I know it will work great for you. Thanks for sharing the hack info on the 5N.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:43 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks very much for posting this build...looks nice and the layout is great...!

:old

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:47 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

That is fabulous Dan and thank you so much for posting this for us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:52 pm 

Wow that's cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:33 am 
Galapagos
Galapagos

Hi Dan,

I love this build. Could you give me some more information about wiring? And which program do you use on the Safari?

Thank you

Julius

Wildlife photographer from germany.

http://www.fokusnatur.de

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:37 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Hello Dan,

Do you have any video footage you can share with us from this camera? I'm eager to see it!

Thanks,

David

http://www.offthepavement.org

All times are