Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:13 pm

All times are

Post subject: New Build Fella's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:30 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Yes I know it's been awhile since last build. Been busy lately with nursing classes, karate and my mom. Anyway after talking with a dear friend of mine Ralph Davis whom was so kind to include me as one of his select few to test drive a new board he developed. Okay the board which Ralph named GameWatcher is a much smaller design than the Safari, in which it measures 1 1/2 x 2 1/2. Yeah he kept you micro builders in mind, for those tight small cases. Supports fast hack, can be programmed with slave delay and the kicker here is it supports voltages to 18 volts. Meaning you are not limited to a certain battery configuration.And of course Ralph can also custom program to fit your needs or you can do it yourself via picaxe and download cable also purchased from Ralph. Myself I am really gonna like this board because I prefer the versatility of a smaller more compact board. More room, not so cramped for space, can use smaller cases, and I can power it with just a 9 volt instead of a bulky battery holder. If you would like more info on the GameWatcher please by all means give Ralph a shout he would be more than happy to help you. So when Ralph offered me the opportunity to test drive the GameWatcher I accepted wholeheartedly. Pretty much Ralph's way of saying to me it's time to get off your butt and get back to work girl(lol). I am very anxious to get this build hung and tested for I do believe the GameWatcher is gonna be a huge hit for the homebrewing community. Thank you so much Ralph for the opportunity !!!
Now the build, I know blablablabla lol . Hey I'm a girl it's expected of me !!!! Panasonic ZR1, Ralph's GameWatcher Camera Controller, RCDavis Slave Controller, 2800 slave,MCM case equivalent to the Pelican 1060, 3 c-cells for camera aux, 4 c-cells for slave power, HPWA, snorkel, and pipe through. And all done by me !!!!
I will have an update on the performance of the GameWatcher and hopefully some nice pics in a few weeks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: New Build Fella's
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:08 pm 

Wow! Very nice build Rena! I bet Ralph will get a whole bunch of inquiries when he gets back from holidays because of this!! LOL

Looking forward to seeing some pics you get from the ZR1 as well!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:57 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Fantastic build there Rena, very neat and well thought out. I hope the new board works as well as your description of it makes it out to be.
Guys, these boards are just now being used in some test builds so I am hoping they prove to be a worthy addition to my lineup. The test boards are version one and I have already made a couple of small changes to the new version that will have two 6 position screw terminals so it gives access to all 4 opto outputs available for running any of the cameras we are using for Day videos and night still photos. As Rena pointed out, she is using a separate slave controller board in her build because the Game Watcher does not support slave flashes like the more versatile Safari board. That was not my intention with this board, I designed it as just a camera controller with 2 optos and the ability to use any power supply starting at 4.5 volts up to 18 volts so you aren't limited to just one power source. You can basically use whatever power source you want to that will fit your needs. This is still in its infancy stage so stay tuned for updates as the testers make progress. The board also has a jumper header for those of you that do the Fast Hack builds with the Sony S40 and S600. That jumper can be used in the field should you need to make changes to the camera settings without getting the error message to turn the power off and then on again. I also included a solder jumper on the board that can be set for the Fast Hack cameras so you don't need a separate common wire for the Fast Hack lens wire, simply install the lens wire into the proper screw terminal and the common wire at Power Common terminal is connected for the lens wire as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:45 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

And another great job baby, very well done !! You know at this rate I may never have to build another camera again....I just may be joining Ken on retiring, then we both can hang on Ebay and look for cameras for you guy's :puterhi ( sorry boss) it was just an :ding . Anyway you came a long way since your first cam as I too. I am very happy and very proud of what you have accomplished. Keep up the good work(um I mean hobbie) and you will be just fine. Just remember you have at least 3 video builds waiting to be done yet LOL. And with that being said I would like to say you are the best thing that ever happened to me, just wanted you to know. Love You Baby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:23 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

The build looks good Rena. I am sure the board will be great, same as with the other boards Ralph offers. Let us know what you think of it after you have tested it please. Great layout inside. Nice and tidy as well. If I recall correctly Ken has high praise for the ZR5 and this camera looks like it is part of that family.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:12 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Awsome looking cam... well done!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very nice.

"Wilderness to the people of America is a spiritual necessity, an antidote to the high pressure of modern life, a means of regaining serenity and equilibrium."
- Sigurd Olson

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:50 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Update guy's, Bill and I went to check the ZR1 yesterday. We were happy to see we had 120 some pics on the card so we changed the card quite anxious to see the pics we reset the cam and headed home. Well let me say what a disappointment that was. Every pic was so blurry so distorted we couldn't make out anything that was in the pics. We have been having focusing issues with this camera from get go, was thinking the lens was hitting the glass. Bill had cut the glass out and reinstalled it to the outside of the lip on the snorkel which gave it a good 1/8"- 3/16" clearance which is plenty. That seemed to work and problem cleared up at least we thought ! So it's safe to say the camera has some serious focusing and lens issues. So we fiddled around with it for a while, tried different settings, every attempt failed. So Bill succumbed to the endeavor and realized it's time to call the Boss.Well after talking to Ralph last night they decided to swap the camera out for another that matched the ZR1, and send the ZR1 and the parts camera that came with it to him and see if he can get the problem resolved. Thank you Ralph for being there you truly are a sweetheart !! So we looked through our camera stash(yeah all 60+ of them)haha. We decided on a FS15 to replace the ZR1. Bill and I were up till 1AM this morning hacking and swapping(yeah no you know what last night) hahaha. All's done and looks good, took a few test pics inside and very impressed. We will test outside today and tonight to make sure all's good to go, and give you an update in a week or so. Just remember folks sometimes life throws a curve ball in your path but don't despair(thank god for the boss) Ralph!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:45 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Well guy's the FS15 is doing very well in this build. As soon as this heatwave is over here I or we will go and do a card pull. Hopefully we will have some nice pics to share with you all. Also I got word from Ralph that the lens swap on the ZR1 was a success and all's good to go. Thank you Ralph another job well done Hun !!! :awesome :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:47 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thats good news on the ZR1 and the FS15 Rena. Ralph has bailed me out a few times also..lol. The FS15 pic quality is very hard to beat once you get the settings dialed in.

All times are