Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:52 am

All times are

Post subject: Samsung TL350 build
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:33 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Here is a Samsung TL350 that I had Ralph Davis hack and program for me. It's a 10 wire hack for 24-hour stills or daytime 30-second HD video w nighttime stills. I'm going to mention all the details mainly for the benefit of our new members that are still getting used to the different terms in camtrapping. I know that this sort of explanation would have helped me out when I first got into this great hobby of ours.

The camera:
10mp. CMOS sensor, 24mm. f2.4 Schneider-Kreuznach lens, jpeg, and raw, 1920x1080 30p fps HD video with stereo.

The brains:
Ralph Davis SMT Safari Controller Board with Opto BackPacker Board.

The build:
Pelican 1040 case, 6 x "AA" wired in parallel for external camera power + the 3.7v proprietary battery, 3 x "AA" power supply with on/off toggle switch for the control board. Homemade external condenser mic with Gortex skin. Rope seal weather protection, Joe's snorkel with MC/UV lens glass, SS HPWA lens, electrical AC disconnect box fashioned into a Bear case with ridged foam backing interior, Mossy Oak Graphics Gear Skins - (Treestand pattern) for camouflaging.

Wire management:
Terminal blocks for electrical connections. As well as wire strain relief to lesson movement of the tinned wire ends from snapping from movement. I used expandable sleeving to hide and give rigidity to the wires for ease of placement. Then used shrink tubing to prevent fraying of the sleeving at the ends. I used small cable ties to cinch sleeved wires for securing to where I wanted the wires to flex. Gooped here and there where need be and that's how I got it all to fit into this case.

The cam is a power hog and originally I had only 3 x "AA"s for addition power and wasn't happy with just that. So I took it back home and found a place to squeeze in 3 more "AA" on the lid which now nestles on top of the camera when folded.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Array

Post subject: Re: Samsung TL350 build
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:33 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Can't wait to see pics from it! Fingers crossed for a nice puma shot. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:35 am 

That is one great looking build!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:46 pm 
King
King

Awesome build! I'm really impressed with that mic with Goretex skin...great idea!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:28 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

great build

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:56 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks fellas,

Now I'm too afraid to put it out in the woods :)

The external mic. is set inside a 1" long x 3/4" dia. PVC pipe. I placed a piece of 1/4" x 5/8" dia. felt inside for the base. Then encased the condenser mic. with a foam windsock around it but leaving the mic. surface exposed for sound pickup. Then inserted that inside the pipe. So what you have is a mic encased with a sound deadening material at the base and sides with the top exposed. I then placed a micro-thin layer of Gortex membrane over the top. I cut a 1/16" of 1" PVC pipe to make a ring which I friction fit over the Gortex to stretch it tight, then applied a ring of Goop. Out the bottom came the two mic wires through a tiny hole in the felt. Which I poked through a tiny hole in the 1040 case and connected to the servo via a terminal block. A drop of Goop to seal the deal. Now if a Bear rips it off, the mic is toast and the two wires snap on the inside the case at the terminal block. Leaving only a pin hole for possible moisture to enter from until I make the discovery.

I ordered a sample of Gortex (Paclite) for .50 from a fabric store which gives me about 3 coverings worth. The Gortex does cut out the high notes somewhat but you can still pick up the sounds of birds and other animals. It is 100% water tight though which I like. It's not the perfect solution and I may still revamp that and do something like Ralph and Daryl have done. By placing the mic inside a small tube angled at about 45 degrees downwards and having it come out the bottom of the case. With the mic face totally exposed.

Here a few pics showing more detail.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Pretty spectacular build Gary ... I am always so impressed with your bear boxes. Man they look as good as the cam and are bullet (bear) proof by the looks of them. I betcha you are a tad bit excited about this baby? Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:56 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thanks for thinking of us new comers to this addiction......... Most of your explanation is double Dutch though lol. I have so much to learn. One thing I know for sure is that I am never going to need a bear box we don't have that problem!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:52 am 
Emperor
Emperor

You see, this is what makes posts like this worthwhile to me, thanks and you are welcome.

You can search for much more and better-detailed tutorials using the SEARCH tab and look under BUILDS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:rockon

"Wilderness to the people of America is a spiritual necessity, an antidote to the high pressure of modern life, a means of regaining serenity and equilibrium."
- Sigurd Olson

All times are