Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:12 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:37 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

So, tonight I'm going to do some testing with the flash and ISO on my S600.
I figure I would put an object at 15 feet, and try these different settings, if you guys have any more suggestions, or things to try, please let me know.... Thanks...

1.) Flash +
ISO auto

2.) Flash Medium
ISO auto

3.) Flash -
ISO auto

4.) Flash +
ISO 200

5.) Flash med
ISO 200

6.) Flash -
ISO 200

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:19 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

ISO: Auto

ISO: 200

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:24 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Flash.. +
ISO.. auto

Flash.. medium
ISO... auto

Flash.. -
ISO... auto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:30 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Flash.. +
ISO... 200

Flash.. medium
ISO... 200

Flash... -
ISO.... 200

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:36 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

I will have to check out the difference in them tomorrow morning on the computer. I've been transferring these over from Photobucket with my phone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:41 am 

I think they all look good and it's going to depend on your specific set up, distance you expect the critter to be from the camera and amount of backdrop that you'll have in the picture. One thing with the way you have things set up for the test is your flash seems to be mounted lower which allows it to be carried out further and not concentrated on one specific spot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:41 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

This was my setup..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:06 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

johnnydeerhunter wrote:
I think they all look good and it's going to depend on your specific set up, distance you expect the critter to be from the camera and amount of backdrop that you'll have in the picture. One thing with the way you have things set up for the test is your flash seems to be mounted lower which allows it to be carried out further and not concentrated on one specific spot.

Yep, I agree with all of that, it probably would have helped if I had more of a backstop behind subject. I really didn't notice much of a difference in the 3 pics of the ISO being at 200, all 3 looked about the same to me. However the 3 pics of it set to AUTO, the + and medium flash seem to be quite a bit more powerful than the - flash setting.

The two day pictures....... I really can't tell a difference in the two. I thought when you change the ISO to 200, it would effect the pic in a negative way, but I really don't see it... maybe some of you guys with more photography experience can see it, but I can't.... But I think I do see a little better difference in the night pics when set to 200....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:02 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Check your property settings and then the details tab. Look at the AUTO ISO value and see what the cam chose for the pictures. Try to keep your pics ISO value as low as you can for better results. Here are some things to remember:

If the flash is aimed too low in front of the subject then you will get a whitewash effect on the foreground and less light on the subject.

Remove all objects such as strands of grass, branches, light coloured debris between the camera and the subject. Those sorts of things will absorb the light and give you bright blurbs in your pictures.

Trees, branches, and other natural objects close behind your subject can catch some of the flash to create a really nice backdrop for creative composition.

Remember, black absorbs light and light colours reflect light. More flash or bring flash closer to photograph Bears but less flash or greater distance to photograph Deer.

You can lower the EV VALUE to -0.3 or even -0.7 to darken your pictures when setting up. I have a set facing South in a marsh where the light is very harsh. I set my cam to AUTO ISO, FLASH -, and EV VALUE -0.3 That will slightly darken the pictures for better clarity during bright daytime light. Yet minimally effect the flash for nighttime pics. It actually takes away the glow on the outer edges of light reflecting objects, reduces glare and renders more clarity.

You can also adjust your CONTRAST to - and that will help tame down the brightness.

There are many ways to go about creating a picture that you are after. Asking for advice, thorough testing such as what you are doing and ultimately field testing. It takes time but with your keen interest and drive, you will achieve what you are after in time. A lot of it comes down to your personal tastes. Good luck and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:51 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

westcocanuck2 wrote:
Check your property settings and then the details tab. Look at the AUTO ISO value and see what the cam chose for the pictures. Try to keep your pics ISO value as low as you can for better results. Here are some things to remember:

If the flash is aimed too low in front of the subject then you will get a whitewash effect on the foreground and less light on the subject.

Remove all objects such as strands of grass, branches, light coloured debris between the camera and the subject. Those sorts of things will absorb the light and give you bright blurbs in your pictures.

Trees, branches, and other natural objects close behind your subject can catch some of the flash to create a really nice backdrop for creative composition.

Remember, black absorbs light and light colours reflect light. More flash or bring flash closer to photograph Bears but less flash or greater distance to photograph Deer.

You can lower the EV VALUE to -0.3 or even -0.7 to darken your pictures when setting up. I have a set facing South in a marsh where the light is very harsh. I set my cam to AUTO ISO, FLASH -, and EV VALUE -0.3 That will slightly darken the pictures for better clarity during bright daytime light. Yet minimally effect the flash for nighttime pics. It actually takes away the glow on the outer edges of light reflecting objects, reduces glare and renders more clarity.

You can also adjust your CONTRAST to - and that will help tame down the brightness.

There are many ways to go about creating a picture that you are after. Asking for advice, thorough testing such as what you are doing and ultimately field testing. It takes time but with your keen interest and drive, you will achieve what you are after in time. A lot of it comes down to your personal tastes. Good luck and keep us posted.

Great stuff, and thank you! I will have to try those things...

One question though..... When I took the pics with the ISO at 200, and changed the flash on all 3 pics from +, med, and -..... it didn't seem to change the flash power at all, they all look the same brightness for flash. Is that the way it works if you change ISO from Auto, to 200? In other words, if you have the ISO at 200, it doesn't matter what flash power you have it set to?

All times are