Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:05 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

This is probably another rookie question, but..... with these point and shoot camera's, you can't zoom in the camera manually to bring objects closer, and then turn off camera, arm the unit, and then expect the camera to take a zoomed in pic when the subject matter triggers the camera, can you? I assume as soon as you turn off camera, the zoom goes back to start up and is zoomed back out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:08 am 

You are correct

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:02 am 
Emperor
Emperor

As with all point and shoot cameras, I believe. It will automatically start up at it's widest range. In the case of the S600, that will be 31mm in 35mm. film camera equivalent.

In your 20" above the camera flash test, you have the flash aimed high on the subject. In other words, your flash is aimed above center of the subject. That is great if your subject is light coloured and if you don't want to light up the foreground. Also useful for low camera placement or to light up the background for creative composition.

In your 6' from the camera placement. The flash looks to be aimed more centered on the subject. I know that it's impossible to adjust the flash to the subject matter during daylight hours. You have to come back at a later date and look at your flash pics and make the adjustments at that time, if need be.

Have a look at these 2 pics taken at the exact same location an hour apart but with 2 different subject matters. Cam set to AUTO ISO and FLASH -. The cam will meter and adjust the flash output and adjust the ISO to match. These pics are from a standard S600 with no editing applied other than reducing the file size.

In the Rabbit pic, the cam metered for a dark background and raised the ISO to 125 and bumped up the flash to lighten up the whole area.
In the Deer pic, the cam metered for a lighter background, the Deer. Then lowered the ISO to 80 and reduced the flash output as not to blow out the light coloured object.

Just more things to consider

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:14 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

ya, I could have centered up the flash better on that first pic, I thought it might end up a bit high, being it was so close, but I was using a fixed steel rod, and couldn't really adjust it too much. I still got a pretty good idea on brightness of flash though, and I like how it softened up the flash when I backed up the flash unit. I may find it hard to find tree's to work that situation out though where I can put the flash unit 5 feet above and behind the camera unit, being this setup is a 10 foot hard wired..... I think I see remote flashes in my future. ;)

All times are