Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:14 am

All times are

Post subject: Viv wireless 3700 slave
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:50 am 
Emperor
Emperor

When I put together this wireless 3700 I really didn't expect to use it that much because of the exteme brightness....but I actually like it alot because I can tone it down with a diffuser if I need to and it allows me to turn the ISO speed down on the cameras for clearer night time pics..Using 4 c batteries,I was expecting poor battery life but that has been suprisingly good also. The RC Davis slave board in the build has worked flawlessly.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:26 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Handsome looking build there, and great looking pics too :awesome
I'm revamping my baby slaves and have the same sort of set-up now. Unlike you I was under powering everything so kudos to Ralph for helping me through it all. I have some questions to ask, well actually, quite a few.

What type of "AA"s are you running in the receiver, alkaline, lithium or NiMh? How are you finding the range with that remote? What brand of remotes are you using, Wassen, I-Shoot or? What cam was used in your pics and what was the ISO and were they taken with or without a diffuser? Could you possibly post some "test" pics for us of something taken with that flash. Such as one pic of a ISO 200 w diffuser, ISO 200 without diffuser and another w ISO 100 without a diffuser as comparisons?

Sorry about the lengthy interrogation but I'm really curious,
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:28 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks....for space saving reasons I am just using Alkaline AAAs (lithium would be better) in the receiver.I have found that when not using the slave, that turning off the switch on the receiver greatly improves battery life..(I have no idea why though)I am using Wansen and Andoer remotes and am told the ones from Cowboy studio work well also. Those pics were from a Sony W-200(ISO-100) with the camera flash covered. I like to put the slave around 10 to 15 ft to the left or right of the camera. If I mount the slave above or closer to the camera the diffuser is needed.(unless its a baby slave) I will try to get some test pics but it might be awile as I just put the slave out in the field.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:04 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

zaj56 wrote:
Thanks....for space saving reasons I am just using Alkaline AAAs (lithium would be better) in the receiver.I have found that when not using the slave, that turning off the switch on the receiver greatly improves battery life..(I have no idea why though)I am using Wansen and Andoer remotes and am told the ones from Cowboy studio work well also. Those pics were from a Sony W-200(ISO-100) with the camera flash covered. I like to put the slave around 10 to 15 ft to the left or right of the camera. If I mount the slave above or closer to the camera the diffuser is needed.(unless its a baby slave) I will try to get some test pics but it might be awile as I just put the slave out in the field.

OK, gotcha
The W200 is a sharp little cam and set at ISO 100, with that slave...........great choice. Hey, that's OK, I didn't realize that you had it set up out in the field. I was curious to see a flash pic with the diffuser in use. I have also found that some of those remotes are brand interchangeable such as Wansen receiver paired with say CS transmitter. I don't know why more folks aren't using these remote slaves. There're a great substitute or as an addition to the on-board camera's flash.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:35 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

westcocanuck2 wrote:
zaj56 wrote:

OK, gotcha
The W200 is a sharp little cam and set at ISO 100, with that slave...........great choice. Hey, that's OK, I didn't realize that you had it set up out in the field. I was curious to see a flash pic with the diffuser in use. I have also found that some of those remotes are brand interchangeable such as Wansen receiver paired with say CS transmitter. I don't know why more folks aren't using these remote slaves. There're a great substitute or as an addition to the on-board camera's flash.

I agree Gary.....moving the flash away from the lens is going to give you nicer pictures...and wireless remote slaves are really the best way to do that....Ill keep you posted on the ongoing testing.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:59 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Great looking build Joe, as always. I just love the pics from wireless flashes. Point and shoot cameras and/or DSLR cameras .. superb my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:05 am 
Emperor
Emperor

ghosthunters wrote:
Great looking build Joe, as always. I just love the pics from wireless flashes. Point and shoot cameras and/or DSLR cameras .. superb my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks DD....always good to hear from a "charter member" of the wireless club!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

What does it take to be a "Charter Member" of the wireless club?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:58 am 
Emperor
Emperor

FIREMANJIM wrote:
What does it take to be a "Charter Member" of the wireless club?

You are already an officer in the club Jim ..you started the whole wireless slave idea!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:37 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Yea...myself and BowGod came up with that one....

All times are