Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:21 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:20 am 

I would put a meter on the switch and see which contacts do what and then wire that to the sister board.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

Hmm, tried that, still no go. I have to be missing something. Hoping for an "Aha"! moment!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:51 am 

Maybe your wiring the sister board wrong? That should be an opto on the sister board and I believe that should isolate the switch from everything else. I'll try and look at a sister board tonight, maybe there's something tying the grounds/commons together with the bigfoot board. Can you take a few close up pictures of it and post them?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:47 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

So it looks like i have it all wired up correctly to the sister board at last & the mic is working perfectly with no noise, however, i have discovered another problem. The mic won't turn off as long as the lanc. cable is connected to the camera. If i disconnect the lanc. cable, the mic turns on & off when the camera normally would. Plug the lanc cable back into the camera, & the mic remains on all the time. There must be some sort of circuit being made through the camera i'm guessing?? Of course, i know so little about these things, it could be anything!! I have contacted Gary but unfortunately his knowledge on the lanc protocol is limited & is a little stumped by this too.
Anyone here have any ideas as to why this may be the case? The camera by the way, if it's any help is a Canon camcorder.
Thanks,
Bryce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:39 am 

Where do you have the wires from the mic going? Can you post a pic of the mic wiring?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:24 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

Sorry to drag this old thread up once again. I decided i simply needed to get on with using my camera traps without any sound after not being able to get things working.
With things very slow here over the winter months though, i have decided to give it another shot & started looking at things again.
So what i realized today after thinking about my issue with the mic not turning off, was that there was a connection being made through the camera. Since the common wire to the battery for the mic is shared with the common wire on the lanc. cable for the camera, the connection was always there. I unsoldered the wire for the mic & soldered it on to the wire running from the sister board. This solved the problem of the mic being on all the time.
Next issue i have run into, is that the sister board doesn't turn the mic on when the pir is triggered. I have the board in night only mode, & it is turning on the camera & starting the video, but the mic isn't powered.
I did a continuity test between the LT terminal & the BAT terminal on the sister board & when the PIR is triggered, it briefly goes to 0.0 Ohms, but then settles around 3.1 M Ohms. When the 30 second video is finished, & the PIR doesn't sense movement, the resistance between the LT & BAT terminals on the sister board are around 8.7 M Ohms.
Is anyone able to tell me if this is correct & if so, what if anything can i do to power up the mic. If i understand it right, the BF boards will have to be reprogrammed to have the mic work during the day, which is how i use the cameras. I was hoping though to prove that the mic will work by having it powered the same as the array would be powered at night.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bryce

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:10 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

Ok, so an update on this marathon audio issue.
I ended up sending the boards off to Gary & it turns out there was an issue with the boards. Not sure if it was programming, hardware or both. He sent them back to me & i received them yesterday. Today i managed to get things all wired up & the mics now turn on & off with the camera just as they should.
Interesting thing is though, it seems like the problem i encountered months ago with the common ground is coming back to haunt me. The sound is not too bad, but there is interference coming from the little read light that flashes on & off when the camera is recording. This is causing a buzz that is exactly in time with this little light. When i disconnect the Lanc. cable when the recording has started, the buzz disappears. Plugging the Lanc. cable back in & it comes back again. I believe this is directly related to the common ground that both the Lanc. cable & the sister board share.
Is there any way of either finding another ground, or perhaps adding something to the ground to shield it from this interference?
Thanks in advance,
Bryce

All times are