Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 pm

All times are

Post subject: Re: Nikon D200 based set
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:09 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

The set is once again out in the forest, now a little different than before.
This time with 2x SB-28 flashes on both sides of the trail about a meter or so higher than the lens.

New is also a case camouflage in shape of light fabric trousers with cut off legs. :) One leg is working as opening around the lens and the other for the cables coming out beneath the case. Waist opening is towards the tree behind the case. The legs left over will be for the flash units camouflage.

Flash settings are M 1/8 power f8 Iso400
Camera 1/200s f8 iso400 WB 5000k (in raw so does not actually matter), manual focus at 1,5m 18mm
The flash on the other side of the trail is commanded via a Youngnou RF 603 II, the other above the camera via a SC-17 TTL cable. This system seems to work and the flashes even wake up from standby and is flashing during the first picture,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Nice photos from that unit. Your camo looks good, who would have thought of that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:18 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Nice work, nice pictures, very original camo, well done!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:28 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hi , Not sure if youre even still active in this community but worth a shot!
I am looking to build my first SLR Trap using the same camera and flashes you have here.. just wondering what setup you are using for a PIR trigger? I have been using regular trail cams for a while now and have found some great zones so Im ready to use my photography background in a camera trap!

If you happen to have build list for your PIR setup or even instructions on the build that would be unreal!
Thank you so much!

Geoff J
http://www.geoffjansen.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:31 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I purchased the newest model sensor from Camtraptions.
My D200 died as I finished the build so for now I have a D7200 as my camera.
I use the Camtraptions wireless receivers and transmitter set up so the camera can talk to the off camera SB28’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:42 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Dear Geoff,

This autumn har been too busy to put up the system. So my inactivity is because of that.

But anyway, the triggering of the D200 is done by a simple PIR circuit board typically costing 3-5€, a small resistor on the signal lead. I used an old remote trigger cable to connect to the multi pin connector on the camera. The trigger is powered by a 9V battery that last about a month.

geoffjansen wrote:
Hi , Not sure if youre even still active in this community but worth a shot!
I am looking to build my first SLR Trap using the same camera and flashes you have here.. just wondering what setup you are using for a PIR trigger? I have been using regular trail cams for a while now and have found some great zones so Im ready to use my photography background in a camera trap!

If you happen to have build list for your PIR setup or even instructions on the build that would be unreal!
Thank you so much!

Geoff J
http://www.geoffjansen.com

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a quick note about your diagram. Shorting the metering and shutter together on some models of Canon and Nikon camera will cause the camera to not enter the sleep mode. The easiest resolution is to use two transistors and two resistors to isolate the shutter from the metering circuit. Personally, I like using a simple microcontroller to control the two leads. With this method you can activate the metering line first and then the shutter about 250ms later. This gives the camera time to wake up and if you are using flashes, it gives them time to wake up. Plus you can also dictate how many triggers per motion event and set the timing between each trigger. This will give your flashes time to recharge. It will also lessen the chance of a flash self destructing if something continuously activates the PIR. Wind, water, snow, rain or a spider on the PIR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thank you for your comment, Jeff.

You are probably right.

I have used the system based on the diagram above with both a Nikon D200 and 3200. for a few winters, I use SB-28 flashes at 1/4-1/1 power depending on site. The PIR itself has a delay of 5 s between triggers. (can be really annoying)

The cameras in my case stay alive a week or more (the D200 has Nikon batteries from 2007...) in -20C the D200 can jam its shutter open sometimes ;) This is due to the Battery grip that can not shift from one battery to another very well I have understood.

The above diagram is just a getting started diagram, and there are many better things to do it. I later have used industrial light IR ports successfully. Much less false triggering.

All times are