Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 am

All times are

Post subject: MISSING CAMERA MYSTERY
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:08 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I met a couple who own a 130+ acre plot of land near the town. When they bought the land 5 years ago the previous owner allowed bow hunting on the land to a select few. Some of the neighbours would also access the land to make it more practicable to access their own land. Another neighbour would also lease out a small section of the land to grow hay. Some folks took it upon themselves to hike on the land because the parameters were not entirely fenced or clearly marked with signs. Long story short, these new owners inherited a lot of unforeseen concerns and minor issues when they bought the land. Tree stands were removed and no hunting signs were put up. Private property and no trespassing signs were placed at key locations. The land lease for growing hay was extended with the neighbour. They even went as far as getting together with other neighbours to form a beneficially mutual agreement. Their aim was to have all property owners allow public access to small sections of each of their lands. To form a continuous multi-use trail link for the general public. Sort of giving back to the public what they want and hopefully curb the illegal trespassing onto sections of their lands that they want to remain private and out of bounds. Well, that idea didn't fly in the end for reasons unknown to me. Five years later this new owner continues to have trespassers, illegal tree stands being erected and they hear noises of gunshots every so often and mainly at night.

Now that you have a bit of background of this property owners situation I'll tell you what happened. These owners told me of a lone Wolf being seen 100 ft. behind their house and also on two other occasions. Last year they had a bull and cow Elk on several occasions being seen on their property. A week ago a cow and Elk calf were seen on their property. Bear and Deer are very common sights on their land as well. I went for a walk with them along with my son on Fathers day last week. They took me down to a creek that flows through the back part of their property. We found fresh Elk tracks, old Wolf tracks, Deer and loads of Bear tracks. I loaned them my oldest cam, a P41 and said that they could place it anywhere they wanted. They were not trying to catch trespassers but wildlife. They decided to place it 5.5 ft. off the ground, screwed to a tree and aimed at a bend in the creek. This bend offered a nice section of mud that was full of various animal tracks. It was also at a game trail crossing. However, it also happened to be smack dab in the middle of a very territorial Bear's land claim. Deeply imprinted paw prints were leading up to the cam and past it. A few Bear trees complete with repeated claw and bite marks were evident.

Yesterday I went down there to check on their cam. Now I asked the family that I loaned the cam to be sure that they insert a nail or cotter pin in the upper front right side of the case as this is the weakest part of the case. As it turns out they didn't. Now as we approached the cam but still not in sight of it. My dog went ballistic, sniffing the ground back and forth. Snorting, growling and whining as she went back and forth all over the place. My immediate thought was Bear and rightfully so. I knew this area was ripe with Bear sign. I come to the cam and spot the thick gauge steel case was pried open and as I come to the front of it I see the cam case missing. I thought Bear but I saw now bits of plastic, batteries, glass or any debris to be found anywhere. I did see Bear tracks nearby in the mud along with what appeared to be Wolf tracks coming from the trail, across the mud (track trap) and into the creek at the crossing. Still thinking Bear, I continued to expand my parameter search but found nothing. Surely a Bear would just rip that case apart right there on the spot or at the very least, close by. Then I started thinking hmmm! Now how could a Bear remove the Pelican 1040 case upwards and squeeze it through the bent opening with it being 5.6 ft. up the tree. Were those Wolf tracks that of a large dog and could the culprit be that of a trespasser.

As you look closely to my steel Bear case you will see scratch marks on the camo duck tape. Many of those were from previous Bear visits but not all of them. My dog clearly let it be known to me that a (more than likely) a Bear was there up until very recently. I might add that the cam's flash was also in the on position.

So here you have it. I would really like to tap into all of your thoughts as to what may have happened to the cam. If you have any more questions about the story then feel free to ask. I told the family that I in no way hold them responsible in what happened. The only thing that I was upset about was that they didn't place a nail into the hole in the top corner. If it was deemed a Bear as the culprit then the nail would have in all likelihood prevented this from happening. Regardless, live and learn from the experience and really, that cam has well served it's purpose and owed me nothing. It's just the chance we as camtrappers take every day of doing this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:04 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Although a bear could certainly have opened the steel box, there's no reason it would have only picked on the weakest part of the set-up and then lifted the case out the relatively small opening. Given the history you recounted, the camera was almost certainly taken by a human who didn't want their photo taken or who wanted a free camera trap.

My cameras are in boxes that look a bit thicker than yours and are always secured with a Python pipe-through lock as well as a padlock on the box -- but if someone really wants it, it will be gone.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:41 pm 
King
King

I'm a little confused....did you recover the cam? Either way...I agree with Woody...there is no way a bear pried open the case, removed the camera, and then carried it away!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:46 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I agree, not a bear but human that removed it. Just can't see a bear prying open the box like that and being able o remove the camera inside and walking away with it. Doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:33 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

No zaj56, the camera is missing (missing camera mystery). Half my cams are set up in boxes like these and Bears mess with them frequently. I've never had this happen to me with any of them. I agree with all of you that a Bear was not the one who lifted it. I guess what I'm looking for is to hear from you if you agree with what the property owners and I think what happened to it. How a Bear could lift the case out as Woody described. Add to that, there was no bits and pieces of it to be found anywhere. Just doesn't make sense to me. The Bear scent around the scene was just a coincidence but not out of the ordinary. Most of the evidence leans towards it being the work of one of those humans of the despicable sort.

I'll get the steel case back tomorrow and have a better look at it. With any luck, I can bang and bend that back into shape and throw another cam in it. If not it will go into my collection of camtrapping casualties archive along with the rest of my Bear damaged stuff.

Thanks for your valued opinions fellas,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:24 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I once had a bear abscond with my camera and tripod never to be seen again. however I'm with the other fellas. it was a homo assholeis that took it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:12 am 
Emperor
Emperor

ArthurV wrote:
I once had a bear abscond with my camera and tripod never to be seen again. however I'm with the other fellas. it was a homo assholeis that took it.

Hahaha, yup, I have to agree

All times are