Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:09 am

All times are

Post subject: Otter log
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 am 
Royal
Royal

I found this otter landing with an old log that had sand deposited under the moss and it looked like the otter had dug the moss off in two places and rolled in the sand. Another good chance to study the habits of otter, so moved a camera from a different location to an alder tree overlooking the log. Most of the time it was a one time thing for the otter, but I never miss a chance to find out.

Will leave it a week and can always move it again.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Otter log
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 am 
Emperor
Emperor

An otter will probably be back, but it may take quite a while until it returns -- especially if it's an adult male.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:23 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I aways admire this kind of detective work. Its the best way to learn about wildlife.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:19 pm 
Royal
Royal

I enjoy studying the habits of otter and have learned a lot in the last 50+ years. They are a shark in the water, a wolverine on land and still like to play. It's a challenge to follow them as they move from the beaver ponds , to the river and then to a few lakes in our area. I know where they are most any time of the year by knowing what they eat and when, find the food is my secret.

CharlieK We have many otter in our river since they banned trapping and I already knew all the landings they use along the entire river. I think I'll have photos of a large male otter within a week. I have 5 cameras set out for otter in various ponds, creeks and the river, I feel lucky to live in this area that is abundant with otter.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Glad to hear you have a good population of otters; like many predators they're intelligent and very interesting critters. We have some in our larger streams and females with young have small enough territories that they can be located with some regularity, but here the adult males seem to range much more widely.

All times are