Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:55 pm

All times are

Post subject: Life on the Ridge
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:02 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Here are some recent screenshots captured on top of the ridge. Urinating and defecating are two forms of animal communication between predator species. The latter being the most difficult and rewarding event for me to capture in front of my camera.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Life on the Ridge
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:12 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

You've certainly got it going on when it comes to chronicling big cat behavior.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:13 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

That puma is in deep concentration, the wolf not so much. Terrific photos.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:01 am 
Emperor
Emperor

For reasons unknown to me, the Cougar scratch pile making has died completely off in this area. The cat that does come through just sniffs and passes by. It also takes a slightly different path than the previous resident male. Which makes me think that it could be a different cat. Then last week I was able to confirm that a female cat did indeed wander in and back out again. The Wolves only pass through about once every month or so.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:43 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Great captures! I wish we had predators like this and in number so l could do some research of my own. I might get a dingo on one of my 20 + permanent cameras two or three times a year if l am lucky, l envy you Gary.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:51 am 
Emperor
Emperor

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
Great captures! I wish we had predators like this and in number so l could do some research of my own. I might get a dingo on one of my 20 + permanent cameras two or three times a year if l am lucky, l envy you Gary.

The Wolf was exterminated from here on Vancouver Island by the mid-1970's. This Wolf pack that I've been documenting has been living in an area surrounded by semi-rural homes and busy roads for the past 2-3 years. They have made an incredibly robust comeback to the point that they are living around us and very, very few people know that.

There will be much written about this pack in the coming seasons, I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:18 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

westcocanuck2 wrote:

The Wolf was exterminated from here on Vancouver Island by the mid-1970's. This Wolf pack that I've been documenting has been living in an area surrounded by semi-rural homes and busy roads for the past 2-3 years. They have made an incredibly robust comeback to the point that they are living around us and very, very few people know that.

There will be much written about this pack in the coming seasons, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for that.
The Government here is trying to exterminate our native dog the dingo. All they have managed to do so far over the last century is kill every other native carnivore. The introduced red fox and the domestic cat are thriving and increasing in numbers dramatically. I don't think there's any answer, it is such a disgrace that they run out of control killing every little bird, reptile and our unique mammals and no one cares. Cats are allowed to free range out of households of a night and red foxes have adapted so the point they can now bring down a fully grown wallaby. Research has proven conclusively that they climb trees and prey on Koalas. I posted an article earlier this year on Camtrapper.com about this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:44 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

westcocanuck2 wrote:

Thanks for that.
The Government here is trying to exterminate our native dog the dingo. All they have managed to do so far over the last century is kill every other native carnivore. The introduced red fox and the domestic cat are thriving and increasing in numbers dramatically. I don't think there's any answer, it is such a disgrace that they run out of control killing every little bird, reptile and our unique mammals and no one cares. Cats are allowed to free range out of households of a night and red foxes have adapted so the point they can now bring down a fully grown wallaby. Research has proven conclusively that they climb trees and prey on Koalas. I posted an article earlier this year on Camtrapper.com about this.

The only people that approve of domestic cats to roam free outside are the cat's owners that let them. I feel for you Trev, it's way out of control all over the world for these ravenous invasive species.

Our provincial govt. hires someone to tranquillize a Wolf from the air then radio collars it. They do this to one or more individuals of each pack that they want to eventually exterminate. This Judist Wolf unknowingly exposes it's pack's whereabouts to the sharpshooters who systematically shoot them from helicopters. We also have a 10-month open season on Wolf killing for anybody with a hunting license. I honestly do not know how we still have Wolves left in our province. The only thing that has saved the Cougar is that they are not a pack animal.

I was talking to an old hunter outdoorsman type of fella last year. It soon became apparent to me that this fella had a serious problem with the number of Wolves in our woods. He told me that back in the 70's and 80's you could drive up into the mountains at dusk and look out into an open logged clearing and see over a dozen Deer. He further added, nowadays you don't see that anymore because of all the Wolves we have. I said that back in the 70's and 80's there were no Wolves left and we had a population explosion of Deer. What you were looking at was an unhealthy imbalance of nature taking place. What we are experiencing today could very well be a healthy example of a thriving predator and prey relationship. Something that very few of us have ever experienced in our lifetimes.

There are winds of change on the horizon for the Wolf, particularly in these parts. Like I said, I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Array

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:41 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Most interesting Gary ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All times are