Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:07 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:31 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I've seen Bears up this tree on two separate occasions so I placed one of my S600's here and got rewarded. They ate a couple of Coho Salmon and then climbed the tree for a nap and stayed up there for just under an hour.

An observation worth noting here............
I've witnessed this (approx.) 10-month-old cub climb a tree as high as 120 ft. and hunker down to rest as Mom goes fishing. I had no idea that a Bear would climb that high.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Very cool sets and great pics. Well done!

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Great setup Mr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:36 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Very nice. The tree is likely a good retreat from boars.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Love those bear pics!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Neat observations and pics (though my computer is real slow loading them this evening). Those bears have a lot going for them in the mother-cub communication department. I've seen a pair of cubs about 75 feet up a Doug fir.

That cub is a bruiser. I've got a 10 month old cub here that's a total runt compared with "Chesty". His/her mother is a runt too, and so far she hasn't put on much weight either. She's carb loading on acorns. Fall salmon would be better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks fellas,
I still see both sow and her cub with just about every visit here. I recently observed the both of them standing on a log crossing looking at the fish below. Then mom took a swipe at one of the fish and then looked to her cub and give him a quick but gentle swat. As if to say, this is how you do it so now you give it a try. So far I have not seen the cub catch a live fish. The sow will catch several fish and eat only select parts or none of it at all. Whereas the cub will eat almost all of a fish and then retreat to a tree for a sleep. Mom will stay on the ground continuing to selectively fish but never strays too far from her cub that's sleeping up a tree. I've seen the cub climb 4 trees now and the sow climb only once.

Here is a pic of the two of them taken a week ago. They often wander along the far bank of the creek's side channel looking for fish but none were to be found that day. The heavy rains have now arrived, allowing the Salmon sufficient depth to come up the creek. The Bears will now spend most of their energy hunting for fish in this area.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:57 am 
Emperor
Emperor

It's really unusual to see a female with only one cub here, they almost always have two or three and occasionally four; I think I've seen more with four cubs than with only one. That cubs is pretty large, probably because it has never had to share with a sibling -- either in utero, or while nursing or since graduating to solid food.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:04 pm 

butterballs! Great shots

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:25 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Woody Meristem wrote:
It's really unusual to see a female with only one cub here, they almost always have two or three and occasionally four; I think I've seen more with four cubs than with only one. That cubs is pretty large, probably because it has never had to share with a sibling -- either in utero, or while nursing or since graduating to solid food.

You may be right in assuming that he is as big as he is because he didn't have to share his food. Keep in mind that eating as much Salmon as you want. That's loaded with omega oils for weeks on end. Also puts on a whole lot of weight as well.
Two cubs would be considered the norm for sure but one cub is not that uncommon either. I have never seen a sow with three cubs, except on this forum and on TV. Four cubs would be, I would think, extremely rare for this part of the world.

All times are