Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 am

All times are

Post subject: todays pics
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:58 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

The Bears are extremely active right now, everywhere. Even had one cross the road in front of me on my way to my cameras today. I still can't get over how black as black can be, that Bear was, dense black. A very husky and very healthy looking fair sized individual for sure.

These are my first cat pics with my W300 and Vivitar 2800 remote flash and a total surprise to get. I positioned this cam in place with hopes of getting a bull Elk. Now that's what I call a fair trade. Now that I know his path, I clipped them ferns out of the way.

The creek set surprised me to see the cat here too. I can only assume that the sow (out of the picture) and her cub in tow. Could smell the cat, which was only 1/2 hour ahead of them. The daytime pics of the cat and sow with cub were taken 5 days later. Once again, same path and same direction was this by coincidence or was it in part of a deliberate choice I asked myself.
This has got me to thinking :ding

Years back when my dog and I confronted a Cougar while coming down off of a mountain trail. I'll omit the fine details here but that cat turned tail and confidently walked away. The thing was the cat walked down the same trail that I had to take to get off the mountain. After the adrenaline of our face to face confrontation subsided, I thought about my predicament. After a few minutes elapsed, I chose to follow in the cat's footsteps with my dog as my guide. You see I only had to walk that trail for about 2 mins and then the trail opened up to an expansive rocky outcropping with panoramic views. From there I could divert to my intended path. The reason I chose to do this was simple. At least if I walked the path of the cat I knew exactly where it was 2 mins. earlier and that was comforting to me. Rather than taking a different route and losing sight of where it was 2 mins. earlier. All I would know was that the cat was in the immediate area, which didn't sit well with me at all. Once we got to the open area my dog may it clear to me which direction the cat had traveled from that point. Now being able to stay in the open and divert off and away from the cat's trail. I still felt extremely alert and aware of my surroundings but somewhat safer as time passed.

Before I get to the point of my story, consider this. Did you know that one of the biggest threats to a Bear cub is predation by Cougars, Wolves and male Bears.

Without a doubt, the sow and her cub came upon the fresh scent of a Cougar. Maybe she has learned that it's safer to follow in the steps of a threat rather than crossing it. Without determining the cat's direction, the safest option would be for it to retrace its steps which is counterproductive. In following the scent she can determine in short time whether the scent is getting stronger or weaker. If the scent is getting weaker than she and her cub are likely or at the very least, temporarily out of harm's way. If the scent strengthens than she may very well turn back and sweep around or hold up for a while. Rather than risking a possible confrontation that lays ahead.

The similarities between my rational and what the Bear pics may lead you to think is uncanny. Whatever the case may be here I find it fascinating, mysterious and thought-provoking at the very least.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Array

Post subject: Re: todays pics
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:46 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Super pics. I loved the elk in the creek bed.

Blessings........Pastorjim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:07 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Nice photos. The bear can certainly tell which way the cat was headed. Supposedly a dog with a good nose under good conditions can tell within a second when two tracks were made up to a week later - hard to believe. A bear's better sense of smell would make that easy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:06 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Those are excellent locations Gary .. outa the norm... results are super my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:46 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks for sharing those great catches!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:06 am 
Galapagos
Galapagos

Yes, super photo's and Thanks for Sharing!!1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Woody Meristem wrote:
Nice photos. The bear can certainly tell which way the cat was headed. Supposedly a dog with a good nose under good conditions can tell within a second when two tracks were made up to a week later - hard to believe. A bear's better sense of smell would make that easy.

Yes, no doubt about it. A good hound dog can quickly determine the direction of travel and a Bear would be extremely quicker at that. I edited my original post to include a short story and a theory of mine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:39 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Love those photos -- esp the eye of the bear -- I've never gotten one that sharp that close. Congrats.

All times are