Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:18 am

All times are

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:10 am 
Emperor
Emperor

This footage of two lions is exciting to share with you. I found this spot pouring over old topo maps at Colorado State University Library. One old map had a small blue dot that represented this little catchment basin. With that information I pulled up Google Earth and found a finger ridge coming off the main ridge right to this fresh water spot for wildlife. I had high hopes it would be a wildlife highway. I was not disappointed. Deer, elk, coyotes, bobcats,mountain lions, red and grey fox, turkeys and black bear are frequent users of this finger ridge. All the homework paid off. As we all know, it doesn't always turn out this well.

http://www.offthepavement.org

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:00 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Sounds like you really did your homework.....as usual. It certainly paid off with some great footage.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:27 am 
Galapagos
Galapagos

That's awesome footage, however I prefer the colour daylight footage, the Bobcat at the water hole -close up is exceptional. I watched you clip on setting up the Browning cam on top of the ridge on the road. I noted that you said you could see around 200yds down the road but then got confused when you said that the camera would "reach the whole way". Can you explain that please? I think the PIR range on that cam is 80 feet maybe that model is 100?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:16 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Great video as always David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:32 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks for the exciting footage to kick off the New Year, David. This forum is an inspiration to me and I expect to most of the regulars here. It certainly reinforces my urge to explore nature and make creative sets. And thanks to Sean, we are back on line again so we can get our daily dose of camera trapping. Happy New Year to all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:27 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I appreciate the comments. Thank you. The biggest thing I've learned over the last two years is how I was holding my learning back by trying different scent or audio lures. I don't use any lures anymore. Why? Because by not using lures it forces me to learn so much more about these predators that I wouldn't learn otherwise. With the knowledge gained over the last two years, forcing myself to learn so much more, I'm capturing a lot more footage than I ever captured using lures.

The best analogy I can come up with is the difference between a fly fisherman and a bait fisherman. While the bait fisherman is content to sit on the bank, watching his bobber while consuming a six pack of beer and three hot dogs for a dollar, his knowledge about fish and their habitat is basically zero. The fly fisherman, on the other hand, is forced to learn a thousand times more if he wants to be successful. He's a self-taught entomologist, and learns about seams, water temperature, water profile and at least 30 variables that he must master that are all changing simultaneously. If I want to learn about trout, I'm going to visit with the fly fisherman. If I want to learn about beer and night crawlers, I'll talk with the bait fisherman.

Buckhuntertrailcam, you raise a very good point regarding the reach of the PIR. When I tested the PIR sensor by walking down the road with my dog, it turned the camera on at about 120 yards. If the animal is moving away from the camera, it may stay in the frame the entire 200 yards if the clip lasts long enough. I have the cameras set for 2 minute clips.

Thanks PastorJim. I thank God daily that I have the opportunity to do this. I know many people who are not able to because of physical limitations. Others may not feel comfortable spending time in lion infested canyons three times a week. My four sisters think I'm crazy. What they don't understand is that their local grocery store parking lot is a lot more dangerous. Those parking lots send shivers up and down my spines. Conversely, when I see a fresh mountain lion track I can actually feel my heart rate drop because I know what it represents, wildlife in wild places.

Ghosthunters, I'd give anything to camera trap where you live for a few months. I love that part of the world.

Chris, yes, we are all grateful to Sean for managing this site and all the mountain men and women that gather here. That's a rough job, always sleeping with one eye open while keeping the fire going.

http://www.offthepavement.org

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:42 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:55 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

You certainly have mastered the art (and yes it's an art, combining knowledge and skill) of getting not just mountain lions on camera but a number of other species also. The quality of your videos is outstanding as are many of your settings.

All times are