Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:50 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Friday night I shared my knowledge with a room full of wildlife and outdoor enthusiasts at the High Plains Environmental Center in Loveland, CO. What a fantastic experience. My presentation included all of the research I do long before heading out into the field, leveraging Google Earth, conversations with local experts, ranchers, farmers and reading. I use Google Earth to document where I "think" all of the travel routes will be. Then when I head out into the field, I'm not seeing this new area cold. I already know it quite well. Within a month I'm typically getting weekly footage of mountain lions. It took me a long time to figure this out, making every mistake in the book, and repeating the same mistakes often. Humbling and inspiring. The content I shared was 62 minutes long. With questions the evening lasted 90 minutes. Asking participants how much of the material I shared was new to them, most said at least 90%.

Then on Saturday I took 15 of these folks on a hike to show them the exact spots I covered in the presentation. We had lion footage on four of the cameras from two nights prior, January 4th at 8:47 p.m. That combination, of presenting, discussing and following it up 12 hours later with a hike in the same area was very rewarding for me and all who attended. I plan to do more of these events. The next one might be hosted by Sylvan Dale Guest Ranch where people can stay on site and hike into one of the areas without driving. Let me know if you're interested. Just send an email to davidneils@gmail.com.

Attachment:
HPECPresentation.jpg

I've also decided to donate all of my older cameras to youth. All that I require is that the parent and child/children send me monthly images or footage for one year after I ship the camera. It will arrive with fresh batteries, a cable lock and an SD card, ready to go. Hawk, a child in Georgia, watches all of my footage on Facebook and because of his interest and parent support, I sent him a camera for Christmas. This is his first capture of a whitetail deer. His mom said he is so excited. Warms my heart.

Attachment:
Hawk.jpg

And finally, the lion footage collected on Saturday.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.offthepavement.org

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I wish I lived closer. There would be so much to learn from you, that I think could also be applied to other species. It's great of you to get kids involved in this activity.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:22 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Hello Jim,
If you have the urge to take a Colorado vacation, consider www.sylvandale.com and I'd be happy to show you around. I live close to the ranch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:29 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Super way to get people interested in camtrapping. Heck perhaps it may even turn some of these attendees into cam builders as well. Way to inspire others into pursuing this hobby. What is the video labeled under on Vimeo David ? I can’t open these links ever via my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:21 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

I was there on Friday and Saturday and it was an incredibly rich experience. Understanding David's level of homework, his expertise in animal behavior, and his specialized knowledge of the places where he sets cameras was very enlightening. Seeing the sets in context allowed me to connect many dots. I'll be processing the the material and experience for a long time to come.

The best part was David's joy when he discovered good footage on his cards. Even though amazing footage is David's trademark, he was like a kid at Christmas. I think all of us left with some of that contagious enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:40 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

This is so cool! To have such knowledge and enjoy sharing it are two rare characteristics. I always enjoy your work David.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Good work, David. They are clearly glued to their seats!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:37 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Brad, it was an incredible honor to have you there. Thank you for attending Friday night as well as the hike. You are welcome to join me anytime!

ghosthunters, I'm not sure if this link will help but try cutting and pasting this into your phone: (vimeo.com/249963940)

I have been richly blessed with good health, great work (http://www.mentoredpathways.org) and I live in a place that allows me to easily enjoy this craft. I am super motivated to give back in this way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:58 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Awesome ... it showed up this time on my phone...thanks David ... super footage of obviously a well used travel route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:27 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Great Ghosthunter, I'm glad you were able to see it. And yes, this is quite a common travel route for mountain lions, bobcats, red and grey fox, coyotes and Merriam's turkeys.

All times are