Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:20 am

All times are

Post subject: Spring pics - 2018
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:32 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Pics from a wide range of areas taken with an assortment of cams. See file comments for added pic info.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Spring pics - 2018
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:19 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

A great variety of animals and very nice pics.

Blessings............Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:32 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Great assortment. It’s a great time for you Gary .. can’t wait to see what you have coming for us in the next few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:58 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Great photos and a great assortment of animals. The stills from the Browning video are awfully good for having been taken from a video. I recently bought a Browning Special Ops and it looks like the videos are better than those from my two Olympus homebrews (VG-140 & VG-190) and the Flip HD. I've got the Browning and the VG-140 set up side-by-side to compare them -- the Browning takes videos all the time and the VG-140 takes daytime videos and night stills.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:22 pm 
Royal
Royal

Nice images off the video
Which Vivitar flash Gary?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:05 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks Daryl, yes it's getting crazy busy with the Deer fawning and the Elk calving now and the predators are here. I came face to face with a Wolf on a trail 2 weeks ago, about 25 ft. apart, no word of a lie (see pic of that Wolf). Also came across Wolf tracks and scat in three separate locations last week, all within a 10 square kilometres of each other, yes it was a tiring day (see pics of track and scat). Surprised 1 Elk herd at close range and had to whistle to alert them. Came across them early in the morning across the river (see pic). Then as I was camping down by the river later in the day. They appeared on 2 separate occasions along a grassy opening about 500 ft. across the river. Got me several pics of a Cougar's rear end and a few tracks 2 days ago as well (left images on the card in cam on site). Loads of Bear tracks, stomping and chewing trees (see pic) and judging by my pooches reaction, some very close calls but no encounters.....yet! Great time to be a camtrapper for sure :riverdance

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:36 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Woody Meristem wrote:
Great photos and a great assortment of animals. The stills from the Browning video are awfully good for having been taken from a video. I recently bought a Browning Special Ops and it looks like the videos are better than those from my two Olympus homebrews (VG-140 & VG-190) and the Flip HD. I've got the Browning and the VG-140 set up side-by-side to compare them -- the Browning takes videos all the time and the VG-140 takes daytime videos and night stills.

Thanks Woody, there is a whole lot of play with wording in the video sales market so be careful. Such as HQ, HD, 1080 and so on. Did you know that 720 and 1080 are both HD quality? Did you know that 1080 HD at 60 fps only tells part of the story, it's all a sales ploy. What they don't want to advertise is that it's most likely 1080 at 60i (interlaced) fps and not 60p (progressive) fps. I encourage everybody to do your research on the differences of 1080 video qualities before plunking down their money. These Browning Recon Force Extreme cams take either 1080 at 60i or 30p fps. However, they promote their cams at 1080 at 60 fps. Which is interlaced meaning that each frame only has half the pixels of data. These stills were extracted from a 30p video which means that each frame has full pixels of data. At present, at least to my knowledge. 30p is the highest image quality offered at present from commercial cam manufacturers. Aside from the new 4k which is a whole new topic of discussion. Even the super high-end Reconyx cams, such as this one http://www.reconyx.com/product/ultrafir ... amera-trap Does not offer 1080 at 60p fps.
For 169.00 for a 30p video cam with decent sound such as these Browning higher end cams. You just can't make one for that price with those features.

Array

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:19 am 
Emperor
Emperor

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:

Thanks Trevor, it's a Vivitar 2800, which is a bright flash, it's one of Ralph's custom creations. Keep in mind that the flash output is a constant in that you have zero control over the output. Aside from using a diffuser or increasing or decreasing the distance between the flash and the subject. Therefore the only control of the flash output in relationship to the image is via the camera settings itself. I tried 3 different cams when finally choosing the W300 as the cam to pair it with. To control the flash intensity I chose an ISO of 200 for these pics. Ideal for pics taken in darker lighting conditions of light coloured subjects such as the Deer. For close-up pics of a light coloured Elk during daylight hours. The Elk has to be dead still and turned angled to the cam to reduce the likelihood of too much overexposure. That's why I got lucky in the pic of the two Elk. An ISO of 100 renders a sharper image, providing it's dead still. It also creates a slightly darker image which is good for close-up subjects and reduces the likelihood of an overexposure of light coloured subjects.

Here's a few pics of the set-up. I made up a custom 45 degree angled mirror to deflect the cam's flash to the PT sensor in the pigtail of the slave flash. The downside is that I have to hang the cam slightly up out of reach of the Bears. Otherwise, they would destroy that mirror.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote:
there is a whole lot of play with wording in the video sales market

There certainly is! There's a simple explanation of megapixel inflation on this site (https://exodusoutdoorgear.com/blogs/new ... megapixels); but, of course they're not a disinterested party. My Special Ops is the 2016/17 model -- the daytime videos seem excellent, the IR not so much. I plan on posting a video comparing the Special Ops and VG-140 when the test is done in a week or so.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:06 am 
Royal
Royal

westcocanuck2 wrote:
buckhuntertrailcam wrote:

Thanks Trevor, it's a Vivitar 2800, which is a bright flash, it's one of Ralph's custom creations. Keep in mind that the flash output is a constant in that you have zero control over the output. Aside from using a diffuser or increasing or decreasing the distance between the flash and the subject. Therefore the only control of the flash output in relationship to the image is via the camera settings itself. I tried 3 different cams when finally choosing the W300 as the cam to pair it with. To control the flash intensity I chose an ISO of 200 for these pics. Ideal lighting for nighttime pics of light coloured subjects such as the Deer. For close-up pics of a light coloured Elk during daylight hours. The Elk has to be dead still and turned angled to the cam to reduce the likelihood of too much overexposure. That's why I got lucky in the pic of the two Elk. An ISO of 100 renders a sharper image, providing it's dead still. It also creates a slightly darker image which is good for close-up subjects and reduces the likelihood of an overexposure of light coloured subjects.

Here's a few pics of the set-up. I made up a custom 45 degree angled mirror to deflect the cam's flash to the PT sensor in the pigtail of the slave flash.

Gary, taken all that onboard mate. Love your mirror setup to deflect the flash back to the slave. :
:10
As earlier discussed I have a couple of 2800 slaves one installed in a build, but reluctant to install the other in a different build as I find it too powerful for the PIR range, I have a thick diffuser installed atm trying that to see the effect. I have to keep working that out.

All times are