Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:13 am

All times are

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:48 am 
Emperor
Emperor

This was a first capture for me. The badger hole is about 12 inches in diameter, a perfect circle. The badger hasn't been around for several weeks. One person told me that if the hole is circular it is probably used to store food while an oblong hole, the shape of the badger's head, is more likely a den site. Anyone else know something about this? I'd like to learn more and I don't have much experience with badgers.

Why would the bobcat spray here. It looks like he's smelling something on the wall at the same spot. Maybe another bobcat? Interesting.

As always, the latest clips can be seen at www.vimeo.com/offthepavement

http://www.offthepavement.org

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:05 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Interesting. Being weasels badger probably are probably pretty pungent at times. Perhaps that's what induced the bobcat to spray there, or maybe it's coincidence (but I'm not a big believer in coincidences).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:02 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

What's odd Woody is that the badger hasn't been there for 2 months. And when he was there I never saw him spray but he could have. Who knows. The only thing using the hole now are mice and wood rats.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:36 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Maybe just marking it for later reference!

Blessings...........Pastorjim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Good capture and one worth keeping for the records.

I have photographed Marten marking Cougar scratch piles and Wolf marking Bear trees. Dogs will mark Bear trees and Cougar scratch piles. My guess is that the Bobcat is simply marking another predator's past presence at this site. I have photographed many predators marking another predators scent. Although I have never photographed a prey species mark another prey species scent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:06 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Good catch, David. Leave the cam there and you may get more of the same and some other critters doing it too. There might be any number of critters going in and out of that burrow if it is deep. So it might give off a gamey smell. If you have marmots at that altitude, they also make nice round burrow entrances, but that looks like a rimrock burrow.

Gary's observations are like mine: predators marking over other predator's marks. I get bobcats and pumas spraying and scraping only a few feet apart.

Badgers dig flat elliptical burrows for dens and make big piles of tailings in the process. Deep scratch marks can be seen on the sides of the hole, and the dirt clods are big. Even ground squirrels can enlarge their burrow entrances to resemble badger work, but the tailings don't contain the clods. Clogs and scratch marks are diagnostic of badger diggings. When caching food the hole will not be big (unless they're burying a cow like that video from Utah a couple years ago). And most predators bury their caches. Our dogs do it by pushing dirt with the nose.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, I'm leading a hike with 16 people tomorrow and I have to pull all of my cameras. I was only able to have them in this open space property from March 1st through tomorrow. But I'm moving them to the elk wallows on Sunday. All is well! Another summer of incredible elk footage awaits. I hope to have some bear activity as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:24 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Animals mark many spots and many times it’s because of all the varying smells. Cool catch David ... can’t wait for the elk footage .. luv them elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All times are