All times are

Post subject: Re: The Stonerow
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:35 pm 
Royal
Royal

Woody Meristem wrote:
Quote:
What camera Woody?

That was a Nikon L11. Although the Sony S40 and 600 fast-hacks are faster, I really like the L11s -- they're small, inexpensive, the hack is easy, they use two AA batteries, and they use SD cards. The only disadvantages are the sound the extending lens makes and the flash which I don't think is quite as good as the S40's.

I thought it may be Woody, as l know that you are fond of them. I have a couple in builds. In fact yesterday l checked on one. I had a few pictures of a sambar hind at a favourite wallow. They were taken when the sun was behind the mountain but it was still plenty light. The flash fired but they were all a bit out of focus. I have had this more often than not. It is as if the camera doesn't fully focus before it fires a pic. Any ideas why, or what to try? Thanks Trevor.
P.S. I also posted my findings with the L11battery issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:42 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote:
The flash fired but they were all a bit out of focus. I have had this more often than not. It is as if the camera doesn't fully focus before it fires a pic.

Make sure the focus assist beam isn't blocked in the build and try the camera out of the build under similar light conditions. Check your camera setting, a number of them (landscape, dusk/dawn, etc.) automatically set the focus to infinity; face priority and a couple of others would probably give you problems also as will subjects with little contrast. The camera wants to focus on the center of the frame, so if the animal is really offset to one side the camera will focus beyond the animal.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:53 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Also... make sure there is a little room between the fully extended lens and the glass in the snorkel ...if the lens is hitting the glass there will be focus issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:54 pm 
Royal
Royal

Thank you both once again, I will bring that camera home next sd card change and check everything out that you mention.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:59 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Keep us posted... hopefully something simple as I rarely get out of focus pics with the L-11s

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:21 pm 
Royal
Royal

zaj56 wrote:
Keep us posted... hopefully something simple as I rarely get out of focus pics with the L-11s

Yer l have three L11 cams, I will check that all out l am keen to know as l normally get reasonable images with this 6 mp camera. It is disappointing when you get home to the computer with an sd card that you know has some good captures on it only to discover that they are that bit out of focus. I have Ralph adding a couple of those diodes to my order, l will try those as that L11 is strange in that it has full voltage from the externals at the batteries terminals inside the camera, but the camera turns on then straight back off again but if l put those batteries from the externals in the camera it will work for at least 2 weeks. Strange l cant see why.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:12 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

You have an odd L11 there, all of mine that I've tested (but I haven't tried all of the L11s I have) will work on externals only. I also have very few out-of-focus pictures from my L11s -- and I have nine in builds now. All of the photos in this blog post were taken with an L11 -- https://forestandfield.blogspot.com/201 ... nerow.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:34 am 
Royal
Royal

Woody Meristem wrote:
You have an odd L11 there, all of mine that I've tested (but I haven't tried all of the L11s I have) will work on externals only. I also have very few out-of-focus pictures from my L11s -- and I have nine in builds now. All of the photos in this blog post were taken with an L11 -- https://forestandfield.blogspot.com/201 ... nerow.html

I am still to check all your suggestions and try them. I will be trying everything to overcome these issues.

All times are