Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:54 pm

All times are

Post subject: Flash housing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:58 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I know this is a super common topic, but i am looking for the best housing that I can focus lighting but give ultimate protection. I will be camera trapping in the Amazon rainforest so plastic food bags wont do the job, they need to withstand termites, giant anteaters or tapiers brishing and bumping them. Previously I have used tupperwar boxes but I see alot of these "tube" type designs. How are you guys making these and also how waterproof are they, bearing in mind they should ideally be weather sealed.

Post subject: Re: Flash housing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Seanglynn wrote:
I know this is a super common topic, but i am looking for the best housing that I can focus lighting but give ultimate protection. I will be camera trapping in the Amazon rainforest so plastic food bags wont do the job, they need to withstand termites, giant anteaters or tapiers brishing and bumping them. Previously I have used tupperwar boxes but I see alot of these "tube" type designs. How are you guys making these and also how waterproof are they, bearing in mind they should ideally be weather sealed.

Check out this video by Tom Mason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPWIuNdE67I&t=785s

I have been using a similar set-up for my SB-28 flashes using the Harbor Freight Apache 1800 case for 14.99.
It's waterproof and fits my SB-28 with receiver with 2 D cell batteries for extended run time.
I add two 1/4-20 thread inserts for mounting from below or the side.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:37 pm 
King
King

I've always been a big fan of pelican cases...but I've never done any work in the rainforest. Those Apache cases look nice! Tom has a good video and I did a pretty similar setup with my flashes but I prefer a waterproof pass-through for the cable going through the case Running it out the side will interrupt the O-ring and is a big no-no for me. I also use silica gel packets in some of my cases. You can buy them individually packaged, but again I'm not sure how that'll go in that type of climate. Never thought of camera trapping in the cold north as pleasant but it kinda seems that way compared to the rain forest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:41 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Does anyone know of the Lock and Lock food storage containers, what sizes sb28s fit into

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:57 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I used the S3 T3500 watertight case for my flashes. Cut out a small opening and fitted it with plexiglass for the flash window. Fits the SB-28 and Stratos II wireless transmitter like a glove. Also room enough to add some external power if needed.

The cases themselves are very strong, and could withstand some abuse from the wildlife, and the water. Here's a photo of my flash cases:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

All times are