Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 7:12 am

All times are

Post subject: Bear inquiry
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:53 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

For all you Bear hunters, biologists and naturalists and ? out there. This Bear as seen here in this image is the largest Bear that I have ever photographed. His front right paw stretched out is 8" across at the claw tips (see pic). His bite mark on the tree was about 6 ft. high up the tree. This is a Spring Bear and he will put on an additional 25% - 30% of his present body weight by next Winter. Any guesses as to how much you think that this beast weighs at present? I would like to use this info for an up and coming slide presentation.

Thanks,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Bear inquiry
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:26 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

As a professional taxidermist l have worked on dozens of bears over the many years in this occupation. So l would estimate over 400lb.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:02 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote:
l would estimate over 400lb

Yes, he's probably 400-450 pounds. In 2013 one of my camera traps got one that was probably about 500 pounds. What was apparently the same bear was shot and killed during the 2016 hunting season at a live weight of 641 pounds.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:22 am 
Emperor
Emperor

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
As a professional taxidermist l have worked on dozens of bears over the many years in this occupation. So l would estimate over 400lb.

I don't know why it never occurred to me to ask you directly, because I knew that you are a taxidermist. Thanks buddy, I appreciate that info.
For future reference, when a Black Bear claws, say a tree with its front paw. Do all 5 claws register or only 4 because I often find evidence of 4 claw marks? I assumed that the 5th claw or the inside claw was more of a dew claw and that it didn't apply as much downward pressure as the other fours. What's your take on this?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Woody Meristem wrote:
Quote:
l would estimate over 400lb

Yes, he's probably 400-450 pounds. In 2013 one of my camera traps got one that was probably about 500 pounds. What was apparently the same bear was shot and killed during the 2016 hunting season at a live weight of 641 pounds.

Thanks Woody, sounds close enough for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Here's the only photo in my collection showing five claw marks from a bear -- it's on an American beech which has very smooth bark at all ages. Bears frequently climb beech trees to feed on the nuts.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

westcocanuck2 wrote:
buckhuntertrailcam wrote:

I don't know why it never occurred to me to ask you directly, because I knew that you are a taxidermist. Thanks buddy, I appreciate that info.
For future reference, when a Black Bear claws, say a tree with its front paw. Do all 5 claws register or only 4 because I often find evidence of 4 claw marks? I assumed that the 5th claw or the inside claw was more of a dew claw and that it didn't apply as much downward pressure as the other fours. What's your take on this?

Gary actually the 5 toes & claws are present on the front of the paw. There's a pad further up the leg but it doesn't have any bone (so no dewclaw). You should be able to see all 5 claw marks on scratching trees. Next time you are studying a track you should be able to easily identify all 5 toe pads. See attached

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Woody Meristem wrote:
Here's the only photo in my collection showing five claw marks from a bear -- it's on an American beech which has very smooth bark at all ages. Bears frequently climb beech trees to feed on the nuts.

I don't find that many either Woody.

All times are