Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:24 pm

All times are

Post subject: snapshot sniper board
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I have a snapshot sniper board (one with LCD) that was not getting many pictures. The PIR range even on very high was very week. I have to walk within a few feet from it to work. Battery is good and I cleaned the PIR. I purchased another board and that one is working good within the setup. Is it usually the PIR that goes bad or something else? How do I check it (voltage)? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:13 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

saltlick wrote:
I have a snapshot sniper board (one with LCD) that was not getting many pictures. The PIR range even on very high was very week. I have to walk within a few feet from it to work. Battery is good and I cleaned the PIR. I purchased another board and that one is working good within the setup. Is it usually the PIR that goes bad or something else? How do I check it (voltage)? Thanks
Try checking the solder connections at the board and PIR toggle switch or maybe even changing the toggle. I’m just guessing and am curious on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:51 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I have a bunch of these boards they work superbly, l love them, plenty of choice of settings. I have had one since the early '90s possibly late '80s, l have had only one "play up" in all that time. I honestly think it is a bad solder joint somewhere. Check where your 3 wires go through the corresponding holes in the board they are very close together, one strand of wire will give you grief. As zaj56 mentioned l also will be interested, in your findings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:38 am 

You can try cleaning the board with a tooth brush and denatured alcohol too, may be some corrosion somewhere. I would check the battery connection wires first and if you are using a switched 9v holder try swapping that out or eliminating it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:18 am 
Emperor
Emperor

thanks for all of the suggestions. I replaced the board with a new board and I am using the same toggle switch and battery holder (standard 9 volt) that were already in the build with the old board. The new board is working great. I'll check all of the solder joints and see if there is any corrosion. I too love these boards. I have several and besides this one, have been working flawlessly. I'll report back with my findings. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:46 am 
Royal
Royal

After cleaning the board, reflow all of the solder joints. A lot of times that will fix it especially if there was a slight moisture issue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:50 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

ghoot wrote:
After cleaning the board, reflow all of the solder joints. A lot of times that will fix it especially if there was a slight moisture issue.

That's a very good tip to know :awesome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:29 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

ghoot wrote:

When you say "reflow all the solder joint" surely you don't mean all of them, wow there's like 30 or 40 on the board alone?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:14 am 
Royal
Royal

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
ghoot wrote:

When you say "reflow all the solder joint" surely you don't mean all of them, wow there's like 30 or 40 on the board alone?

Yes, there may be just one causing the problem. I reflow all of them.

All times are