Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:07 am

All times are

Post subject: The death of 3 SB 28s
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I have lost not one, but 3 Nikon SB 28s this year, two were yesterday.

The first died while photographing bandicoots. My AIR trigger got misaligned and the camera went nuts, shooting off a heap of pictures. The flash shut down and has since not switched on at all.

The same thing happened again yesterday with two flashes connected.

The thing that both incidents have in common was that the flashes were connected to the hotshoe on the camera, though only to the Xsync and GND terminals, avoiding the others. Also they were set to reduced power.

Other times this has happened with flashes connected to the PC SYNC and they have not failed.

Camera is Canon EOS 5DIII.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Nathan

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

See my gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126002448@N02/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I've lost two SB-28s this way. Never using power > 50% solved the problem for me. Best solution is very secure trigger mounts and very good alignment between transmitter and receiver. I was convinced my triggers were flaky until I realized high winds were causing tree mounts (that I had considered sturdy) to sway. Don't throw the burnt out units away. SB-28s with broken hot shoe feet go cheap on eBay...you can use parts from your broken units to easily repair these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:46 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

frontrange_brad wrote:
I've lost two SB-28s this way. Never using power > 50% solved the problem for me. Best solution is very secure trigger mounts and very good alignment between transmitter and receiver. I was convinced my triggers were flaky until I realized high winds were causing tree mounts (that I had considered sturdy) to sway. Don't throw the burnt out units away. SB-28s with broken hot shoe feet go cheap on eBay...you can use parts from your broken units to easily repair these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi,

I guess the other solution is to use "make beam" rather than break beam. But power was 1/4 and 1/8...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

See my gallery:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:19 am 
Emperor
Emperor

This is a good post to follow and I'm sure that someone :tinkin (Jeff) may have some ideas for this. I have 4 x SB-28's and will be using them for a few up and coming builds. No doubt this will be a problem that I will be encountering as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:24 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I think the reason my SB-28's survive may be that your EOS 5DIII has 6 fps for raw while my T1i only has about 3 fps...half as many flashes, half as much heat. Before I found a workaround, I planned to introduce a supervisory arduino micro controller into the flash cabling. It would simply disable the flashes if it detected a runaway condition.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:08 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Why not install that runaway protection into the camera trap controller itself? I made a very simple ATTINY85 based control box that ANYONE can make, so that installing a runaway protection code would be fairly simple I imagine.

See my gallery:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Quoll wrote:
Why not install that runaway protection into the camera trap controller itself? I made a very simple ATTINY85 based control box that ANYONE can make, so that installing a runaway protection code would be fairly simple I imagine.

Excellent idea and a more flexible architecture.

All times are