Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:26 am

All times are

Post subject: Security Boxes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:06 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

A post about how I make security boxes on another forum prompted a full explanation with photos, so I thought I'd post it here too since Camtapper has more users --

I put all my Pelican cases in modified steel 60 amp unfused air conditioner disconnect boxes; the 1040s in Cutler/Hammer (now Eaton) boxes and the 1020s in GE boxes. Lowes carries the steel boxes, and a lot of electrical supply houses have them too. The Pelican cases are almost a perfect fit in the steel boxes which can easily be drilled for Python locks. A 1040 Pelican case has to have some material ground off the latch and the "wings" at the latch, but not very much has to be removed. Both boxes have to have holes drilled or cut for the lens and Fresnel; and both boxes also have bulges molded into the front that I flatten out, but that could also be cut to partially protect a HPWA. I put my 3d camo on the steel box and just paint the Pelican to blend with the steel box.
Another advantage of the steel boxes is that they can be aimed and fastened to the tree or stake (with lag screws, strap or cord); doing that allows replacement of the memory card and batteries without having to re-aim the camera each time. Lag screw the steel box to a tree and the installation is rock solid.
I've had bears bite the steel boxes with no damage and previously had problems with gray squirrels gnawing on Pelican cases – the steel boxes protect against squirrels too. The steel boxes are cheap insurance, the Cutler/Hammer boxes are less than $10 locally.
Here are a couple of photos of Cutler/Hammers from the beginning of the process thru completion.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Security Boxes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:59 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Nice work. I'll bet you sleep better when the camera is outside in that steel box.

All times are