Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are

Post subject: Any advise?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:19 pm 
King
King

I am have having some trouble with a video/still pic build. It's a Fuji JZ 250 with a viv 215 slave and Safari boards (backpackers)All of a sudden the cam started taking pics at night without the slave flashing(daytime videos are fine) I isolated the slave from the boards and tested it... and it worked fine. I tried removing the large resistor from the flash backpacker and installing a jumper...but it made no difference. Triple checked all the wiring and did a bunch of testing in basement. The slave will fire occasionally and when it does it sets the board back into the walktest mode. I can usually figure this stuff out...but this time it's got the best of me. I usually would check with Ralph but he's out of commision for a bit. I can't figure if the problem is with the main board or the flash board? Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Any advise?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:57 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

zaj56 wrote:
I am have having some trouble with a video/still pic build. It's a Fuji JZ 250 with a viv 215 slave and Safari boards (backpackers)All of a sudden the cam started taking pics at night without the slave flashing(daytime videos are fine) I isolated the slave from the boards and tested it... and it worked fine. I tried removing the large resistor from the flash backpacker and installing a jumper...but it made no difference. Triple checked all the wiring and did a bunch of testing in basement. The slave will fire occasionally and when it does it sets the board back into the walktest mode. I can usually figure this stuff out...but this time it's got the best of me. I usually would check with Ralph but he's out of commision for a bit. I can't figure if the problem is with the main board or the flash board? Any ideas?

Do you have dip #2 on or off? If it's on, I think it needs to be flipped off for Fuji cams. I had a JX build with the same problem, where the slave wouldn't fire when connected to the Safari/Flash Backpacker. I was thinking that dip #2 controlled 24hr pic mode, when it really controlled the flash count (my fault for losing the dip settings label).

Other than that, here's a quote of the response Ralph sent me when I was having problems: "There are really only 3 things on the Flash Backpacker that would cause it not to fire the slave flash. The PT could be bad but that is unlikely. It is most likely the triac or the optoisolator on the Flash Backpacker that has went south."

Hope this info helps, but I'm definitely no Ralph when it comes to this stuff lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:31 am 

Usually if the slave firing causes the board to reset to walktest then one of the wires is too close to the flash cap, or high voltage wire and causing voltage to get back to the board and resetting it. I've seen the cds wires too close to the cap do this as well as almost any other wire in the build. Since sometimes the flash doesn't even fire there may be a different issue though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:43 am 
King
King

Thanks guys...that gives some other things to check. Also,I noticed that when the slave doesn't fire and I pull out the chip on the flash backpacker, the slave will flash as I'm pulling it out(with the board off)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:34 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

wvridgerunner wrote:
zaj56 wrote:

Do you have dip #2 on or off? If it's on, I think it needs to be flipped off for Fuji cams. I had a JX build with the same problem, where the slave wouldn't fire when connected to the Safari/Flash
Backpacker. I was thinking that dip #2 controlled 24hr pic mode, when it really controlled the flash count (my fault for losing the dip settings label).

Other than that, here's a quote of the response Ralph sent me when I was having problems: "There are really only 3 things on the Flash Backpacker that would cause it not to fire the slave flash. The PT could be bad but that is unlikely. It is most likely the triac or the optoisolator on the Flash Backpacker that has went south."

Hope this info helps, but I'm definitely no Ralph when it comes to this stuff lol.

Dip 2 is for the flash count, if it's A JZ250 it's a 2 flash so dip 2 would have to be in the OFF position.

All times are