Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 am

All times are

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:30 am 
Galapagos
Galapagos

Lets say you just went out to the field, and switched cards and batteries in your camera. Do you guys charge up the used rechargeables right away, or do you wait until you are about ready to take them out to the field for a swap again? Just wondering if they lose a little charge if you were to charge them right away, and then they sit on your shelf for a couple months?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:56 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I always recharge them right away, but if they sit for over a month they go back in the charger just before they go out. Most of mine are low self-discharge batteries, but they still get recharged before they go out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:52 am 
Galapagos
Galapagos

ok, that makes sense.... thanks..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:31 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I've never had much luck with rechargeable batteries. Few performed better than alkaline. Maybe the technology improved. Starting back in February I purchased a few hundred lithium batteries off of Ebay. $89.00 for 100 Energizer Lithium batteries. What I've found is that I'm getting more than 7 times the life out of these batteries than the best alkaline. I have some cameras that have captured over 500 videos and the battery level still shows 90%. Crazy. Not only is it much less of a hassle because I don't have to swap batteries all the time but I'm saving money in the end.

My three cents, or four cents,

David

http://www.offthepavement.org

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:38 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I always change them out with every visit, been doing that for years now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote:
Starting back in February I purchased a few hundred lithium batteries off of Ebay. $89.00 for 100 Energizer Lithium batteries. What I've found is that I'm getting more than 7 times the life out of these batteries than the best alkaline. I have some cameras that have captured over 500 videos and the battery level still shows 90%. Crazy. Not only is it much less of a hassle because I don't have to swap batteries all the time but I'm saving money in the end.

Sorry to disagree with you, but I must. Lately I've bought eight Imedion AAs for less than $25 -- expensive initial outlay certainly, but it costs less than 1/2 cent to recharge them. I've got sets of AAs that have been recharged well over 200 times with no apparent loss in performance.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think you're saving money using disposables.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:49 am 

Mine are all low self discharge batteries and I charge them as soon as I can when I get back from a camera check. Sometimes I top them off before putting them back in a camera but usually not. The most important things are good quality batteries and a good charger. Eneloop are still number one in my opinion and immedion are good as well. I also have some LSD Tenergy batteries (orange and white) that I've been running for years that are still going strong. My charger has a refresh and analyze that I cycle each battery through once a year. It also will tell me if I have a bad battery when it's being charged so I know to toss it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:52 am 

Woody Meristem wrote:
Quote:
Starting back in February I purchased a few hundred lithium batteries off of Ebay. $89.00 for 100 Energizer Lithium batteries. What I've found is that I'm getting more than 7 times the life out of these batteries than the best alkaline. I have some cameras that have captured over 500 videos and the battery level still shows 90%. Crazy. Not only is it much less of a hassle because I don't have to swap batteries all the time but I'm saving money in the end.

Sorry to disagree with you, but I must. Lately I've bought eight Imedion AAs for less than $25 -- expensive initial outlay certainly, but it costs less than 1/2 cent to recharge them. I've got sets of AAs that have been recharged well over 200 times with no apparent loss in performance.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think you're saving money using disposables.

I think David also runs some retail cameras and in those I can see lithium being an advantage. A lot of retail cams don't like the lower voltage of the rechargeable and especially with video rechargeable can be an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:33 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Yes, I use lithium batteries primarily in my off the shelf, Browning Recon Force Platinum cameras. I found rechargeables to be a real hassle and they don't perform as well as decent alkaline batteries, let alone lithiums. I'm saving money over using alkaline batteries and the cameras work so much better. Plus I'm saving time in the field. All I have to do is swap out the SD cards. So for me I'm saving valuable time in the field and at home and my cameras perform better. Could I save more money using rechargeable batteries? Probably. But the cost savings isn't worth the hassle of using them. I hope that clarifies my point. It's not just about cost.

http://www.offthepavement.org

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:25 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

johnnydeerhunter wrote:
Mine are all low self discharge batteries and I charge them as soon as I can when I get back from a camera check. Sometimes I top them off before putting them back in a camera but usually not. The most important things are good quality batteries and a good charger. Eneloop are still number one in my opinion and immedion are good as well. I also have some LSD Tenergy batteries (orange and white) that I've been running for years that are still going strong. My charger has a refresh and analyze that I cycle each battery through once a year. It also will tell me if I have a bad battery when it's being charged so I know to toss it.

Johnny, what charger are you using? I need to buy a good one. I am running the Eneloops though.

All times are