Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:33 pm

All times are

Post subject: Cropping photos?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Do you guys have any tips for cropping or editing photos? When you crop a photo to bring it in closer, does the picture lose clarity?

Post subject: Re: Cropping photos?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:26 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

All the photo editing software of which I'm aware has a crop feature. My favorite is PhotoScape which is free to download. When you crop the photo often exhibits what is called "grain", it depends on how much you crop and the quality of the original photo. Here's a photo (not very good) of a hermit thrush; the original is on the left, on the right is the same photo severely cropped. I wouldn't want to use one cropped that much, but if it was the only way to illustrate something I probably would - reluctantly. The cropped photo can be improved somewhat with the sharpening feature in the software -- but not much

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Bones wrote:
Do you guys have any tips for cropping or editing photos? When you crop a photo to bring it in closer, does the picture lose clarity?

Yes, cropping does cause a loss of clarity, like Woody's photos illustrate very well. I personally use crops mostly to improve the composition of a photo, center an animal, remove something distracting and the like. Maybe slightly bring something in closer, but you just lose too much if you just blow it up.

As far as other editing goes, I will play with brightness, contrast, etc. I have even removed a dstracting branch and once took a weird icicle off of a lynx's "smile". Just get yourself a photo editor and start playing around. I have a copy of photoshop I bought off of ebay for 50 bucks, though now I mostly use GIMP, another free open source photo editor.

You should realize that point and shoot cameras process the image before it goes on the card, thus the settings like white balance etc. DSLR's can shoot in RAW format which is basically the raw data from the sensor, which then the user can manipulate.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:50 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

great info guys, thanks..... Ya, I was thinking I was pretty limited with a point and shoot, but thought I would ask..... some day I will graduate to the DSLR's, but I need to learn a little more first...

All times are