Fledgling
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:35 am

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:33 pm 
Galapagos
Galapagos

ghosthunters wrote:
Woody Meristem wrote:
I write the month and year they're installed in the build on each battery and have changed them after about 15 months. But, I've also converted most of my SS II boards to run on 9v or AAA rechargable batteries, then I change them after four months and just recharge the batteries -- cheaper in the long run and the board battery is never run down to where it won't power the board.

I have done many conversions as Woody stated. I have used 9 volt, AAA's and AA's. I like the AAA and AA best if space permits. Gary's SS11 can run on many voltages. I was having to many issues with the little batteries and swapped one build out with a AAA battery holder. I have never looked back. No issues. I still use one build that has the small battery cause it's in a micro build. Perhaps it's just another option Danno.

Ok now I have a question, if the SSII runs on many voltages and mine run on a 9v battery why is it that when the voltage on mine goes below 8.5 v it stops working. If it runs on a single 3.6 v battery wouldn't it keep running on the 9v battery until it goes below that voltage of the 1/2 AA which is 3.6v?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:18 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

You're right JDH, I've had two of those tiny batteries go stupid on me after only a few weeks out. There is no rhyme nor reason as to why they perform funny like that. I'll still continue to use the SSII boards in the future, for the compactness of them, they can't be beaten. Especially in the 1010 and 1020 cases. I may follow what Daryl does and swap out the batteries for "AAA"s in my future builds when using cases bigger than the 1020.

BTW, good post, lots of important info being shared here by others. I'll be bookmarking this one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 am 
Royal
Royal

Hmm, this is the first that I heard of the batteries acting goofy like that. The SSII voltage regulator runs the board on 2.8 Volts, but needs about 3 volts to work properly. Like JDH says, once the voltage starts dropping, it drops fast. At that point, the battery may read above 3 volts, but once a load is applied, it drops below 3 volts and then the voltage regulator isn't able to supply the 2.8V and it false triggers.

buckhuntertrailcam, I imagine that is what's happening in your case as well.

DJA,
You may have an issue with the boards that are false triggering on you. Are all 3 of the small aluminum capacitors still there?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:08 am 
King
King

westcocanuck2 wrote:
DJA,You may have an issue with the boards that are false triggering on you. Are all 3 of the small aluminum capacitors still there?
Yes Gary all of the capacitors are there, even with new batteries a couple of these builds are triggering constantly. When I go back after a week to check one camera the red light will start blinking like it is still in the walk-test mode.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:50 am 
King
King

I just checked I have 16 Tadiran batteries some were only out a couple of weeks, 4 were at 3.64 volts, 7 at 3.63 volts, 2 at 3.62 volts, 2 at 3.61 volts, and 1 was at 3.60 volts. I hate to throw them out if there is a different problem. I appreciate any help you can give me with this problem Gary. Thanks Danno.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 am 
Royal
Royal

Those batteries are probably good. Send me your address and I'll send you a couple of boards to replace those. You just need 2?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:52 am 
King
King

ghoot wrote:
Those batteries are probably good. Send me your address and I'll send you a couple of boards to replace those. You just need 2?
This message from Gary shows why we have to support our homebrew suppliers from these forums. Gary stands behind his products completely even though these units are out of warranty he is willing to send out replacements. Please remember this when it is time to buy products and give him all the business that you can. Gary I will send you a private message, thanks again Danno.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:08 am 
Royal
Royal

DJA wrote:
give him all the business that you can.

AMEN to that! LOL, Thanks Danno!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:50 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

I recently checked a number of cameras that had been deployed for 12 months straight. SS2 with the lithium battery was still firing away with 4D's powering a P41. For long sets I don't think they can be beat, but that's just been my experience.

All times are