Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:31 am

All times are

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:46 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hi All,

i just got a s600 delivered, but on start up or switching between modes makes a loud whining/buzzing noise from the lens.

any ideas? potential the lens motor?

is it worth sending back? or should is it fixable, given it is getting hacked and used in my first peli case camera trap build anyway?

cheers

harry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 am 
Emperor
Emperor

the whining could be coming from the window that you look through to take a picture. The gears may have to be cleaned.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

saltlick wrote:
the whining could be coming from the window that you look through to take a picture. The gears may have to be cleaned.

thanks for the info, i will check when i take it apart to hack it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Yes, it's probably the lens gears. If the S600 lens is anything like an S40's it's easy, you just have to be sure to get each gear in the right place when you put it back together. Take a look at Charles' video on cleaning the S40 lens gears --http://www.diytrailcams.com/post/sony-s40-lens-repair-videos-5793024?highlight=s40+lens+repair&pid=1274870420

But the S600 lens may be very different than the S40's, I've never opened up an S600's lens Maybe someone else on the forums has done that and can help you.

If the camera was sold at full price for a good S600 I'd contact the seller and try for a refund or a discount. There are other full price S600s out there that are in really good condition.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:31 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Woody Meristem wrote:
Yes, it's probably the lens gears. If the S600 lens is anything like an S40's it's easy, you just have to be sure to get each gear in the right place when you put it back together. Take a look at Charles' video on cleaning the S40 lens gears --http://www.diytrailcams.com/post/sony-s40-lens-repair-videos-5793024?highlight=s40+lens+repair&pid=1274870420

But the S600 lens may be very different than the S40's, I've never opened up an S600's lens Maybe someone else on the forums has done that and can help you.

If the camera was sold at full price for a good S600 I'd contact the seller and try for a refund or a discount. There are other full price S600s out there that are in really good condition.

ditto. Does it happen when the camera is in review or just when it's in picture/movie mode? Make sure to take of the flash capacitor solder leads...they will bite you! I cleaned some s600 gears a while ago because I was getting out of focus pictures, took me a few hours so be prepared for that. Also helped to write down the order the gears come out because I did it backwards the first time and had to do it all again!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:39 am 

If you got it cheap enough it might be worth messing with. It very well could be the viewfinder motor. That's easy to check by opening the camera and just pulling the motor cable out and turning the camera on. If you still hear the noise it's the lens if you don't it's the viewfinder motor and they are very easy to replace. As has been mentioned watch out for the flash cap contacts, it's very easy to get zapped by it or to short the camera out if you set it face down on something conductive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

when you turn the camera on, look into the viewfinder window. You should see it move in and out. If it doesn't then it could be the motor or gears.

All times are