Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:37 pm

All times are

Post subject: Confusing S600
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:12 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Now that I've got an S600 hacked and ready to put in a build I decided to work on another S600 I've had for a little while but never opened up -- and it's got me really confused.

When the power button is pushed the green LED around the button comes on -- usually the lens doors open but the lens doesn't extend and the camera shuts off (sometimes nothing happens other than the green LED stays on until the batteries are removed). Push the power button again, the lens extends and the camera will work just fine. If the camera is then turned off and back on everytihing's fine, but let the camera sit for five or ten minutes and the power button has to be pushed once to get the doors to open and again to get the lens to extend.

If the slide is moved to "Review" the camera works just fine.

The lens on this camera was the dustiest of any camera I've ever gotten, as if it sat around for a long time with the lens doors open. I'm guessing there's dust/crud inside around the lens doors or the lens door limit switches causing the problem -- or maybe it's the internal power switch.

Anybody have any ideas???

Post subject: Re: Confusing S600
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:40 am 

I would try cleaning the battery contacts inside the camera and on the door and lifting them a little and see if that helps. Next I would open it up and disable the lens doors.

Post subject: Re: Confusing S600
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:45 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote:
try cleaning the battery contacts inside the camera and on the door and lifting them a little

Thanks Johnny -- I'd already done both, but apparently I didn't clean the contacts enough. Took a strip of 150 grit sandpaper, held it in a pair of very fine needle-nosed pliers and really scrubbed the contacts -- that did the trick. I always clean the contacts in cameras and the ones in this S600 didn't look bad, but ...

All times are