Fledgling
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:06 am

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:24 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hi all,

Short Story
I'm a new member to the site and my head is spinning with options for my first home brew. I am looking for a camera that will be able to remain zoomed in on an area, any suggestions?

Long Story
I've had experience with commercial trail cams before, and at the moment i'm having a lot of trouble with people trespassing and vandalizing a piece of land I have. There are some natural "choke points" where any intruders have to pass, however there's not a good concealable location to hide a camera. I'm purchasing some remote IR triggers which can be concealed easily, and i'm planning to try and gang them up to have multiple triggers for the one camera. As my camera will need to be further away than normal, I was thinking of buying a camera with an optical zoom to maintain some picture quality.... Do the fast hacks also maintain the 3x zoom? if not I am assuming that the only other option would be a SLR with manual zoom lens :tinkin I would prefer a cheaper point and shoot on my first rodeo... but if SLR is the best choice for zoom then it might be time to go big.. does anyone have any experience ???

P.S. I know its annoying when new members join and ask questions straight away, but i have scoured through the past forums with no luck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Which remote IR triggers are you looking at? Something similiar has been done with the harbor freight driveway monitors and I know with those you can have multiple sensors triggering the same receiver. Also look into using a higher megapixel cam so you can zoom in if needed if you cant get the zoom function working like you want. Also, RC Davis has a control board already setup for remote triggering here http://rcdavisgamecamerasolutions.weebly.com/ , never used one myself so do your research and GL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:07 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Yeah the driveway monitors look quite good.... I have purchased some small microchip boards with rf kit on them to try making my own, I thought that might give a little more flexibility in the build. I did find the remote IR on the nex3n build on this site after ordering the parts from adafruit... Made me doubt my choices, so I will probably try ordering some rcdavis sensors for tinkering soon...

In terms of camera yes more mp will give more cropping afterwards but you start to hit a limit pretty quick .... Hense asking if there is an analog zoom option anyone had success with.

In case anyone is interested here are the RF microcontroller parts ordered.

2 x Adafruit Feather 32u4 with RFM69HCW Packet Radio - 433MHz (RadioFruit)
[ID:3077] = $49.90
1 x Adafruit Non-Latching Mini Relay FeatherWing[ID:2895] = $7.95
1 x Adalogger FeatherWing - RTC + SD Add-on For All Feather Boards[ID:2922]
= $8.95
1 x Medium 6V 2W Solar panel (2.0 Watt) [ID:200] = $29.00
1 x PIR (motion) sensor[ID:189] = $9.95
1 x Adafruit BME680 - Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Gas
Sensor[ID:3660] = $22.50
1 x Adafruit Perma-Proto Half-sized Breadboard PCB - Single[ID:1609] = $0.00

Here goes!!!

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

All times are