Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:55 am

All times are

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:25 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hi there, I am building my second camera trap and I am looking for some informations that I can't find anywhere but i'm sure some cam trapper around here are experimented enough to know about.

How much standby time do you get from a Nikon en-el15 batterie assuming all your settings are put up to conserve power if shots are rarely fired.

I' d also like to know how much standby time do you get from a Sb- 28 with 4 eneloop pro batteries ( assuming they are rarely fired)
Some people say 4 weeks others up to 8 weeks !?

The longest I've put up a camera trap without changing the camera batteries was 3 weeks. But if I remember correctly there was still life left in my batteries.

I am asking this question because I am debating between buying a grip or not for my second setup.
I' m assuming the the life of a gripped camera on stand by would be doubled with a grip but id like to know if its worth buying a grip or not.

Here is my logic lets say my Nikon d610 with grip last 2 months but my flashes last only 1 month I' d have to go change my flash batteries anyways in this case the grip is not worth it. If both last approximately the same time period then I'd be worth it

Thats why I'd like to know the average standby time of a Nikon dslr with a en- el15.
And the average standby time of an Nikon Sb- 28 with 4 eneloop pro
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:32 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

There's many factors to consider but the main one is ambient temperature.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:59 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I usually check my camera traps every 6-8 weeks and so far I've never came back to dead batteries in the SB-28s. Recently, I've pulled my camera trap from the field after 8 weeks, during which night time temperatures dropped to 15F (-10C), and the speedlights were still on standby and good to go - notwithstanding ±330 triggers. Flash power was set to 1/4 or lower. I use Ikea Ladda 2450 batteries, which are supposed to be similar to Eneloops.

I'd say that 2 months of standby time for the SB-28 flashes is definitely realistic if you keep the triggers down, limit flash power to 1/4 or less and ambient temperatures are moderate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:27 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Your responses are very much appreciated. Now the question is how much batterie life do you get from Nikon En-el15 do you Also get 8 weeks in mid temperature ? If so I guess its not worth adding a grip to your camera.
Thank you very much .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:10 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Go to the upper right of your screen on this forum to the SEARCH tab. Type in Nikon d610 and you will no doubt have your answer there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:09 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

westcocanuck2 wrote:
Go to the upper right of your screen on this forum to the SEARCH tab. Type in Nikon d610 and you will no doubt have your answer there.

Thank you but I didnt find anything about the average life of a Nikon En-el15 on standby. I guess I' ll have to figure it out myself .
I guess that if you can get 8 weeks from sb-28 with eneloop rechargeables you can get more than that from a Nikon EN-EL15
I was asking the.question because I am building a trap and debating in adding a grip to my Nikon d610 I' d' like to know before cutting a hole trough my Pelican storm case has the position of the window will be at a different place if if decide to go grippless ...
But I guess I' ll go without it because I' ve been told that camera battery life usualy surpass sb-28 battery life . So if you need to go change your flash battery you surely can change the camera battery at the same time

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are asking the impossible question. Battery life depends on many factors. Temperature, number of activations, day only - night only or 27/7. A d610 in the sleep mode will last for many months. The time goes down with shutter clicks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:34 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thanks Jeff I knew about all these factors I only wanted to know if its safe to say that a Nikon body with one En-el15 will most of the time outlast an Sb-28 ( on the same setup of course ) on standby with ni-mh batteries . Your answer was exactly what I wanted to hear...
Thank you very Much

All times are