Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:38 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:22 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hi All,

just pulling together my first camera case, made from a tupperware box.
my question is regarding the lens hood/snorkel.

i need to make one as the camera lense will protude, and want to put a UV filter to prevent water ingress etc.

My brother has a 3d printer so said he will print what i need, however i want to make sure i dont get "tunnel vision on the lense".
With the lens set at 18mm, with a hood diameter of 67mm, for 30mm (to create a overhang to avoid rain drops) be seen/cause tunnel vision?

The snorkel i plan to have 75mm for the first 90mm, then the last 30mm at 67mm to allow a UV filter i have to sit inside it.

apologies if this is confusing!
see a rough drawing below

regards,

harry

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:24 am 
Galapagos
Galapagos

Cardboard mock-up is the best way to work this out. If corners vignette, you can even trim hood into "petal' shape.
Put a flange on your printed snorkel so you can fasten with a couple of screws in addition to glue. My first glue joints only lasted a month in a snowy environment. I added #4-40 screws in 2 locations and haven't had problems since. To make my filter water tight I used marine epoxy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Personally I'd stay away from the 3D printed stuff for outdoor use. In general its meant for prototyping and not waterproofing, etc, and most filaments are not UV stable. I guess you can just print it thick enough but I'd suggest you modify a PVC pipe that you can glue in. It's not as custom but it will last. Depends on the environment but I'd also bet that if it's PLA it becomes brittle if it gets really cold, and probably swells when it gets damp. I have the same camera and put it in the pelican case with UV filter and snorkel and never had a problem. It'll work but if you're doing long term deployments in harsher environments I think you'll want something more robust. All it takes is one squirrel to start chewing on 3d printed material or tupperware and then a rain and your setup is gone. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:15 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I've used PVC plumbing fittings (modified somewhat) for all my snorkels and various sized Pelican cases for all my builds. I've never seen a Tupperware box that I'd trust to seal up well enough to be waterproof in all weather -- and Tupperware isn't strong enough to protect the contents from many species of wildlife from mice and squirrels to bears.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:51 am 
Emperor
Emperor

hazellh wrote:
Hi All,

i need to make one as the camera lense will protude, and want to put a UV filter to prevent water ingress etc.

My brother has a 3d printer so said he will print what i need, however i want to make sure i dont get "tunnel vision on the lense".
With the lens set at 18mm, with a hood diameter of 67mm, for 30mm (to create a overhang to avoid rain drops) be seen/cause tunnel vision?

The snorkel i plan to have 75mm for the first 90mm, then the last 30mm at 67mm to allow a UV filter i have to sit inside it.

regards,

harry

Since Joe quit making the aluminum snorkels I have been using 3D printed snorkels in all my builds. There is piles and piles of members on this forum using the 3D printed snorkels. They are all I use. I have many builds I have built for customers as well and they all have the 3D printed snorkels in them. I have 20-30 builds at any given time all with the 3D snorkels. My cams are out 8-12 months of the year. I live in Saskatchewan Canada and we have some pretty harsh conditions and the 3D printed snorkels have persevered. We have camo dipped cases that have discolored due to UV rays but the snorkels have not missed a beat. We use the snorkels for W100, H70 FS7, FS6, FS15, LZ8, to name a few. Have used many styles and shapes. I will admit I do not have any DSLR builds at this time so I do not have a snorkel that I have tried for those. Give it a try an post your results here. I can’t see why 3D printed snorkels will not work for your DSLR. Here are some pics of snorkels that Me and others have used over the years. Have fun with your build and show us some pics. This hobby is a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:04 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

ghosthunters wrote:
hazellh wrote:
Hi All,

regards,

harry

Since Joe quit making the aluminum snorkels I have been using 3D printed snorkels in all my builds. There is piles and piles of members on this forum using the 3D printed snorkels. They are all I use. I have many builds I have built for customers as well and they all have the 3D printed snorkels in them. I have 20-30 builds at any given time all with the 3D snorkels. My cams are out 8-12 months of the year. I live in Saskatchewan Canada and we have some pretty harsh conditions and the 3D printed snorkels have persevered. We have camo dipped cases that have discolored due to UV rays but the snorkels have not missed a beat. We use the snorkels for W100, H70 FS7, FS6, FS15, LZ8, to name a few. Have used many styles and shapes. I will admit I do not have any DSLR builds at this time so I do not have a snorkel that I have tried for those. Give it a try an post your results here. I can’t see why 3D printed snorkels will not work for your DSLR. Here are some pics of snorkels that Me and others have used over the years. Have fun with your build and show us some pics. This hobby is a blast.

I'm impressed, listen to ghost hunter! Didn't know 3D printed snorkels were in use here

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:09 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I wanted to clarify that am not trying to say you must use 3D snorkels, PVC or aluminum. I am just trying to point out we are very lucky due to the vast knowledge on these forums. We have many many ideas and options available to us. We are fortunate .. the more tutorials, videos, ideas, suggestions from members the better. I learn more and more as I follow the forums and meet new members. It makes it easier for people just getting into our hobby. I will never forget the first build I made and it took my picture.. thanks to all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:04 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

ghosthunters wrote:
hazellh wrote:
Hi All,

regards,

harry

Interesting to see them all!

I think once I'm happy my prototype box works, which it seems to be, I will build another.
I only plan on one or two night set ups in fair weather at the moment, until I get myself another dslr (using my one and only for the set ups at the moment).
My prototype isn't pretty but works well! Tupperware box, tennis ball aluminium tube (uv filter fits perfect in the end) and silicone to keep the water out!
Attachment:
IMG_7566.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:50 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Looking good... once you get some pictures be sure to post them ... awesome ..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I have used a pvc joint 75-90mm joint . I used a 72mm filter which snug fits perfectly on the 75mm side of the joint and used silicone to seal it . And this side sits into the plastic enclosure. the 90mm side works as hood and I have cut it to 25mm length so that it does not obstruct the view . Image

www.anjanikumar.net

All times are