Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:38 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:18 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I am interested in getting into DSLR camera trap photography, but honestly I'm not quite sure where to start. I've been looking into the Camtraptions PIR sensor, because I'm unfamiliar with how to program one of the SSI sensors. Not sure if anyone in the US is making any reliable active/passive IR triggers these days, but if an option exists I would for sure look into it. I'm also thinking about getting the Camtraptions wireless trigger kit with 2 receivers for triggering a pair of SB-28s, unless there is another less expensive, but reliable option out there? I'm planning to use either a Nikon D300s, a D3200, or D3300 camera for this build.

Because I live in an area with a healthy population of both black and grizzly bears, I'm planning to build the camera housing from a Pelican case. Any suggestions as to which box would fit the cameras I've mentioned above? I would also appreciate any thoughts on relatively inexpensive housing for the flashes with wireless receivers attached.

Questions I have:
Does anyone have any experience with the newer Camtraptions PIR sensor?
Are there any other reliable options for wireless triggers for Nikon SB-28s?
Besides the camera, flashes, sensor, wireless triggers, and the camera connecting cable, is there anything else I would need to complete the build? (Besides camera/flash housing)

Thank you for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hi Zack.
1. I bought the new Camtraptions sensor last summer and have really enjoyed using it. It's simple enough to use and the instruction manual is very informative. As much as I didn't want to, I read the entire manual before messing with the sensor and it helped.
2. For my SB28's, I use the Camtraptions flash triggers, however for shorter-term sets, I'll use SB24's equipped with Cowboy Studios triggers. Both the SB24 and those triggers can be had for cheap-might be an option if your funds were as limited as mine were when I started!
3. Sounds like you're off to a good start with what you have. I use rechargeable batteries (AA and AAA) in my sets just to help keep the cost down. If there are other battery options, then I'm not sure of them and would like to hear from someone else on that subject.

One other thing-if you're using a D3200 or something similar in size, you might be able to fit the camera into a .50 caliber ammo can. I modified a can for use with one of my sets using a Rebel T3I and it fits nicely. Even though we don't have the grizzlies on this side of the country, I still worry about the black bears having their way with one of my cameras. I'm not saying the case is entirely bear-proof, but it may offer a little more protection in an attack. The ammo cans can be bought for $10-$20 at Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply, and so far, it has stayed dry inside. I drilled a vent hole in mine and keep a silica gel tin in there and I haven't had any problems. I also used some packing inside to keep the camera cushioned in the event of a fall or any other trouble.

Hope that helps a little and best of luck!

All times are