Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:36 am

All times are

Post subject: Comparison Videos
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:47 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Having seen David Neils' and Tim Harrell's videos taken with Browning commercial trail cameras and finding a Browning Special Ops Platinum on sale for a good price, I purchased the Special Ops. Put the Special Ops side-by-side with, first, My Olympus VG-140 homebrew and then my Olympus VG-190 homebrew. Unfortunately the Browning and the VG-190 weren't lined up too well, but I think the videos can be compared anyway. Here are the results of 30 second videos from each camera -- https://youtu.be/UDTQokHr-00

Both Olympus cameras take very nice still photos, so I may use them for stills only. In any case, I think any video cameras I use in the future will be Brownings.

Post subject: Re: Comparison Videos
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:06 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Big difference isn't there Woody. Like many others here, I can't build a better quality video camera for the price of some of these new trail camera models. You will find that Browning has vastly improved the sound quality of some of their newer models too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:24 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Ironically enough, I just purchased the same Browning last night to be used for video purposes. Thanks for the review.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:53 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

When you guys have a chance please show us some night videos. It would be nice to see the difference between the Special Ops and a Recon Force Extreme. I am using the latter but have been tempted to get a Special Ops for the no glow IR. I'd say Browning can still improve night time video quality in the Recon Force Extreme. It is best in middle distance scenes, but is even better when a second camera provides side lighting like an off-cam IR flood light. There seems to be a loss of definition when subjects are at closer distances, and exposure adjustment to washout/glare is a little slow when an animal approaches the camera.

There is also an irritating artifact in night video, and it may apply to all commercial trail cams -- the camera picks up the reflection of the animal's eye-shine on the plastic lens covering the actual lens. Two little ghost eyes bounce around in front of the moving animal. Have you noticed that? I haven't seen this in IR video shot with homebrewed P&S cams or DXGs, but it may happen with them too. A daytime artifact also appears, but only when the cam is aimed at a low or setting sun. The artifact I see is a faint pattern of dappled red light coming through the trees -- which I assume is a reflection of reddish light between the lens cover and the lens.

But I really like the new model Brownings a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:40 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

The best Browning camera that I've used is the Browning Recon Force Extreme. Browning will have a 4k camera available, hopefully by the end of the month. I still haven't seen any test footage from the camera. I've asked Browning to post actual video and photos from this new camera but to no avail. Ridiculous really. Last year I bought the Stealth Cam 4k camera and it was a complete joke. There was more lipstick than pig in that box. Completely unusable video from that camera.

Regarding audio, the Browning Recon Force Extreme works well IF there is low humidity and it's been dry for awhile. Wind noise is horrible. It only works well in certain conditions. But hey, it's less than $200 and works well in all kinds of temperatures and weather. I only use Lithium batteries. They are actually cheaper to use than alkaline batteries. I can get three months out of 8 lithium batteries.

http://www.offthepavement.org

All times are