Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:43 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:43 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Hey all,

I've been lurking this forum and the remote and camera trap photography page for some time.

This is my first lot of photos with a DSLR camera trap using the camtraptions PIR, wireless triggers and SB28.

These are Eastern Quolls (Dasyurus viverrinus) from Tasmania. They are basically extinct on the mainland of Australia and are declining in Tasmania (but are not considered endangered by the state... figure that out). They remain somewhat common on North Bruny Island...although they are declining there as well.

They can often be found feeding on roadkill and have pretty obvious trails.

I decided to set up on a roadkill pademelon (small macropod), and two logs I thought they were would pass.

Now that I've got these I'm fairly keen to try out a few other species around Australia.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:45 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Welcome to the forum Jannico. It's really good to see new members posting new images on this forum :awesome Those pics are incredible and we look forward to hearing more from you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:36 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Wow, those are knockout photos and the quolls are charming subjects to North Americans who tend to look down on our own native Virginia opossum. BTW, when I worked for the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago we received a shipment of 6 quolls from Tasmania in a small crate without compartments. All had fighting injuries and missing toes, but the vet fixed them up and they survived.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:38 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Those are awesome. That last one in particular is super cool. The shell really adds a lot. I haven't seen a quoll before so look forward to more Aussie species

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Beautiful photos of a very interesting creature. Welcome aboard!

Blessings........Pastorjim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:46 pm 
Royal
Royal

Yes great captures and good to see a fellow Aussie on here. The specie of Quoll in Tasmania is still quite common in some areas like Bruny Is as mentioned. The large Spotted Tail Quoll is around 4ft long including the tail there is a good population of them in the mountains on the northern Victorian border where I have been doing a lot of research. It is most pleasing to see them there in numbers. I have found a few other populations around the state and in N.S.W. in recent years. They are a fascinating animal the mother having a pouch. They are fearless ferocious hunters being able to pull down and kill a wallaby which is many times there size and weight. Definitely looking forward to seeing more images of my favorite Aussie animal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:39 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

cameratrapcodger wrote:
Wow, those are knockout photos and the quolls are charming subjects to North Americans who tend to look down on our own native Virginia opossum. BTW, when I worked for the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago we received a shipment of 6 quolls from Tasmania in a small crate without compartments. All had fighting injuries and missing toes, but the vet fixed them up and they survived.

eep! That's not good. When was this?

And thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:42 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
Yes great captures and good to see a fellow Aussie on here. The specie of Quoll in Tasmania is still quite common in some areas like Bruny Is as mentioned. The large Spotted Tail Quoll is around 4ft long including the tail there is a good population of them in the mountains on the northern Victorian border where I have been doing a lot of research. It is most pleasing to see them there in numbers. I have found a few other populations around the state and in N.S.W. in recent years. They are a fascinating animal the mother having a pouch. They are fearless ferocious hunters being able to pull down and kill a wallaby which is many times there size and weight. Definitely looking forward to seeing more images of my favorite Aussie animal.

Yep! I saw two in the North West of Tassie. I have a few properties I've been trying to get shots of maculatus in the Granite Belt near Stanthrope and Tentafield... I think I fixed some problems up with battery longevity some I'm very hopeful for the next set!

I'm hoping to do some postgraduate research on Quolls in Tassie so i may a #$@* of time to take photos of them soon ha.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:06 am 
Royal
Royal

Well that is great hopefully you get some shots of our bigger sub specie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:00 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote:
eep! That's not good. When was this?

That was way back in the mid 70s. The gift had been arranged by the Ozzie (and Tasmanian) director of the zoo, the late Peter Crowcroft.

All times are