Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:06 pm

All times are

Post subject: Stripers on the Cape
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:20 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Video from an underwater camera rig I made to record how fish interact with lures. Not sure what qualifies as a remote camera but hoping this does:

https://remotecaptures.blogspot.com/

Built it last summer but finally found time to test it out last weekend. My camera rig design was based off previous designs I found online and housed a GoPro hero 3 black.

Cheers,

Peter

Post subject: Re: Stripers on the Cape
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:29 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Great idea and great captures.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:56 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Very well done and something that we never see here on the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:04 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Definitely innovative and pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:17 am 
Royal
Royal

Well I have never seen anything like that before very original.
I am very interested to know more about the camera that went for a year and a half if you would like to elaborate further I am certain that I am not the only one interested.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:43 am 
Gentoo
Gentoo

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
I am very interested to know more about the camera that went for a year and a half if you would like to elaborate further I am certain that I am not the only one interested.

Thanks, happy to answer any questions. I think all my units are in the field but I will try to edit this post later on and post a picture of the internals of the camera if I can dig one up. It was a Sony p41 with 4 D external batteries and 2 internal Eneloop rechargeable batteries and a SS2 with a 3.3v lithium primary tadiran battery , both from Snapshot Sniper. The memory card was the largest allowed for P41 (4GB). All tucked in a pelican case with some desiccant to keep things dry.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:26 pm 
Royal
Royal

greengrass wrote:

Thanks, happy to answer any questions. I think all my units are in the field but I will try to edit this post later on and post a picture of the internals of the camera if I can dig one up. It was a Sony p41 with 4 D external batteries and 2 internal Eneloop rechargeable batteries and a SS2 with a 3.3v lithium primary tadiran battery , both from Snapshot Sniper. The memory card was the largest allowed for P41 (4GB). All tucked in a pelican case with some desiccant to keep things dry.

Thanks for that! I appreciate your help and reply. Well that P41 is an old camera but they must be brilliant I don't think I have ever heard anything bad about them. So 4 x "D" cells now that would have plenty of grunt for long life. I think from what I have read that SS11 is very economical. How many images did it take in 18 months?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:48 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Quote:
Thanks for that! I appreciate your help and reply. Well that P41 is an old camera but they must be brilliant I don't think I have ever heard anything bad about them. So 4 x "D" cells now that would have plenty of grunt for long life. I think from what I have read that SS11 is very economical. How many images did it take in 18 months?

Managed to dig up a unit that I have to repair before it goes back in the field. Not the prettiest build! I can't remember how many pics that unit took during its deployment, it's hard to keep track of them all. I'm pretty sure it was at least 1,200 but it still had some power to go longer. D cells have an insane amount of power in them if you take it out slowly, which is not the case if you take it out quickly. You never get it all but they are *rated* for 12-18,000mAh per cell, so the P41 had over ~30,000mah to use if it needed it (plus the AA eneloops inside the camera). There are probably better cameras out there then the P41 but I'm stuck in my ways and haven't kept up with the best and newest cams these days :)

The SS2 is very good, runs on 30uA so with one of the 3.3v Tadiran batteries Gary sells it will keep on running.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:27 pm 
Royal
Royal

greengrass wrote:
Quote:

Managed to dig up a unit that I have to repair before it goes back in the field. Not the prettiest build! I can't remember how many pics that unit took during its deployment, it's hard to keep track of them all. I'm pretty sure it was at least 1,200 but it still had some power to go longer. D cells have an insane amount of power in them if you take it out slowly, which is not the case if you take it out quickly. You never get it all but they are *rated* for 12-18,000mAh per cell, so the P41 had over ~30,000mah to use if it needed it (plus the AA eneloops inside the camera). There are probably better cameras out there then the P41 but I'm stuck in my ways and haven't kept up with the best and newest cams these days :)

The SS2 is very good, runs on 30uA so with one of the 3.3v Tadiran batteries Gary sells it will keep on running.

Thanks for all that & thanks for taking the time to post up the images. I will keep in mind the use of "D" cells. I check my cams every 2 weeks generally as I am using them to monitor stag movement for hunting. Now is the time of year i need all my cams to be working correctly, it is coming up to the sambar rut and they are hitting the wallows. It would be great to just carry swap out SD cards and leave the batteries at home but I find I need to change the batteries at least every visit or at least every second visit (about a month). For ease of use and trouble free running I think I need to look at the SS11.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:29 pm 
Royal
Royal

greengrass wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for all that & thanks for taking the time to post up the images. I will keep in mind the use of "D" cells. I check my cams every 2 weeks generally as I am using them to monitor stag movement for hunting. Now is the time of year i need all my cams to be working correctly, it is coming up to the sambar rut and they are hitting the wallows. It would be great to just carry swap out SD cards and leave the batteries at home but I find I need to change the batteries at least every visit or at least every second visit (about a month). For ease of use and trouble free running I think I need to look at the SS11.

One last thing that looks like a 1060 case - looks fairly long?

All times are