Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:32 pm

All times are

Post subject: Busy side channel set
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:57 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Never did I anticipate that this set would be so productive. These sets were all within 75 ft. of each other, along a river side channel. During the high ocean tides the river will backflow into this channel. I included the Wolf pics that I posted earlier to round off the variety of animals visited here thus far. A Cougar did come within 300 ft of this spot but chose to walk elsewhere :what? I have about 2 more months here before the rains reclaim this spot for the fall and winter months.

(Stills grabbed from commercial video cam)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 am 
Emperor
Emperor

That channel is like a super highway for game. Nice captures!

Blessings........Pastorjim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 am 
Emperor
Emperor

What a great spot!!! It's well worth keeping a camera there as long as you can.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:22 pm 
Gentoo
Gentoo

Awesome site! Loved the otters hopping along. Good thing he didn't overlap with the canines

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm 
Royal
Royal

They are great video grabs Gary & certinly a productive area. What camera?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:46 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks,

Trevor, funny you should ask. They were taken with that Browning Recon Force 2017 model. This camera was a victim of an incoming high tide of 11.2 ft. I found the camera covered in silt and opened it to find rust in the battery compartment, moisture in the LCD screen and further evidence of water damage later. I took it home, desoldered some wires, disassembled some parts and cleaned it up with isopropyl alcohol. Then set it 6"above an electric baseboard heater overnight. Put it all back together and it works again, well sort of.

Except that once a motion activation takes place. It takes continuous 30 second video clips of up to 130+ then goes to sleep again. Then once it is motion triggered again off it goes on another video marathon. Until the batteries are dead or the card is filled up. If anybody has any suggestions on how to remedy this, I'm all ears. The warranty is now void with the dunking and furthermore by my disassembling of the unit. Right now it is delegated to still pics which work fine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:49 am 
Royal
Royal

westcocanuck2 wrote:
Thanks,

Trevor, funny you should ask. They were taken with that Browning Recon Force 2017 model. This camera was a victim of an incoming high tide of 11.2 ft. I found the camera covered in silt and opened it to find rust in the battery compartment, moisture in the LCD screen and further evidence of water damage later. I took it home, desoldered some wires, disassembled some parts and cleaned it up with isopropyl alcohol. Then set it 6"above an electric baseboard heater overnight. Put it all back together and it works again, well sort of.

Except that once a motion activation takes place. It takes continuous 30 second video clips of up to 130+ then goes to sleep again. Then once it is motion triggered again off it goes on another video marathon. Until the batteries are dead or the card is filled up. If anybody has any suggestions on how to remedy this, I'm all ears. The warranty is now void with the dunking and furthermore by my disassembling of the unit. Right now it is delegated to still pics which work fine.

Gary, you say you found the camera, so was it yours to start with or you just lucked onto it?
As far as suggestions nope way beyond me, however I will say that you should take it home and sit it on a window sill and leave it for a while you may be pleasantly surprised.
I recall taking a mobile phone for a swim whilst trying to retreive big cod here in the river. I remember it didn't work for a year, now it works perfectly; has done for several years.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:53 am 
Royal
Royal

Afterthought...... is that a 1080 camera Gary? The video quality must be excellent as the grabs are so sharp. Are the standard images as sharp and vibrant as the grabs?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 am 
Emperor
Emperor

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
westcocanuck2 wrote:
Thanks,

Gary, you say you found the camera, so was it yours to start with or you just lucked onto it?
As far as suggestions nope way beyond me, however I will say that you should take it home and sit it on a window sill and leave it for a while you may be pleasantly surprised.
I recall taking a mobile phone for a swim whilst trying to retreive big cod here in the river. I remember it didn't work for a year, now it works perfectly; has done for several years.

I should say that when I came back to "my" camera..............
I'll take it back home and open it up again. Resolder a few wires, clean the contacts and dry it out for a week. If still not working properly then I'll just have to make due with it.

It's the same video cam that a lot of us here on the forum use. As you can see by the still grabs, it all has to do with the lighting mostly. The video quality is actually pretty good under subdued, indirect lighting but is as you would expect. Not so good in harsh, mixed or direct lighting I find. The sound quality is excellent IMO.

Here's an example of an IR pic taken at dawn.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Array

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:39 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Neat place, Gary, and good catches. Baby otters, wow!
Why not just call up Browning and ask them if they can fix it? If they say no, there's nothing lost but the cost of the call. If they ask too much keep it for real active sets like bears fishing salmon.

All times are