Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:09 am

All times are

Post subject: Roosevelt Elk bulls
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:53 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I set up my tent, had dinner and decided to go for a evening walk before retiring for the night. So with flashlight in hand and my dog at my side, off I went. As I was walking down this long gravel road in the heart of Elk country. I came to an open are with a sprawling field of green grass on one side and a marshy meadow on the other. Suddenly my dog stops and looks to her right. I shine my light into the direction of her gaze and there, standing before me not 40 ft. away. Was this large bull Elk standing in the marshy meadow staring at me. My dog growls, I tell her "NO" and the 3 of us stare at each other. My instincts told me to quickly look to my other side. I turn and shine my flashlight into the darkness of the grassy field. There standing before me off in the darkness are 7 cow Elk with fixated white eyes glaring back at me. I quickly redirect my attention back to the bull again and much to my relief. He decided to turn around and swagger slowly off in the opposite direction.

Let me tell you, I have never experienced a mature bull Elk at such a close range. Never mind at night and in between his harem. I was awestruck and humbled by the experience and count myself very fortunate, in several ways. I can say for certain that if it were not for my dog. I would have very likely walked right past them and never know how close I was. The bull in mention was in picture #002 and I can say for 100% certainty. That a small one dimensional picture does in no way convey the enormity of these animals.

The next morning I could here the Elk moving through the thickets not far from my tent. Actually, the dog brought that to my attention in the wee morning hours as I lay there trying to sleep. You see, where I saw the Elk the evening before was only 5 minutes down road from me. Besides, I've camped here before and I have heard them in those thickets on previous occasions. Eventually I did get up, I made some coffee and decided to return back to that spot of my encounter the previous night. Wouldn't you know it, there some 150 ft. away laying in the meadow with it's back to me, was that same bull. He wasn't going anywhere, so long as the cows were in the area I figured. I know he heard me but he paid no mind to me which was fine by me too. I went back to my camp, cleaned up and off I went to check on my cameras. That's when I found out that there was another 3rd. bull in the area. Hopefully I'll get some more pics of him in the coming weeks.

Be sure to tap on the "+" in the top left corner of each image for a clearer picture.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Roosevelt Elk bulls
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:57 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Being so close to such a magnificent animal, and in his natural setting.......very exciting stuff!

Blessings........Pastorjim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:04 am 
Royal
Royal

Gary, do you think that the bull in picture 2 is an old bull, regressing in antler as to me he looks like a mature bull, more so than any of the others, except for the one where the bull is walking away - can't tell?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:19 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Bet your heart rate went up a bit while you were in their midst -- great experience, but you probably won't try for a repeat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:39 am 
Emperor
Emperor

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
Gary, do you think that the bull in picture 2 is an old bull, regressing in antler as to me he looks like a mature bull, more so than any of the others, except for the one where the bull is walking away - can't tell?
Hey Trev, I have no idea or know what I should be looking for to make that call. Here's another profile pic of that bull in pic #002. Maybe this partial pic will give you a better idea.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:10 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Great story, and great shots of those fellas. Seems he was sizing you up. You were lucky you didn't pass muster for the harem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm 
Royal
Royal

westcocanuck2 wrote:
buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
Hey Trev, I have no idea or know what I should be looking for to make that call. Here's another profile pic of that bull in pic #002. Maybe this partial pic will give you a better idea.

Gary, I am no expert on elk however I have killed a few trophy elk and have hunted them many times. Also as a professional taxidermist l am trying to replicate them "true to life" as much as possible. That bull has a short, very deep neck, big dewlap, heavy body & contrasting neck body colour. Maybe someone else has their opinon to share?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:33 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Great stuff...I really love the quality of those pictures!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:50 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks guys,
Yup, I was dealt a lucky hand that night for sure. Trev, and for anybody else here interested in knowing more about the Roosevelt Elk. Here is a link that you may find interesting.... http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/elk.pdf

Thanks zaj56..........There are not many of us using these remote or wireless slaves, judging by the posts here. Here's some pics of the set-up used at the creek set. The other pics are from the ol' Sony S600.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:48 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

My Goodness Gary....that is a really cool set-up! Hope you don't mind if I copy that...lol

All times are