Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:13 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:55 am 
Emperor
Emperor

This is a sort of continuation of my previous post of the passing Bear. Here are other forest scenes taken along this natural and well used game trail in an old growth forest. Followed by pics of a Red Squirrel, Pine Marten, Roosevelt Elk, Cougar, and Black Bear.

This area is a good example of an old growth forest of the Pacific Northwest. Where the predator prey relationship is naturally balanced and co-existing together. Sadly, places like this are harder to find nowadays. Unlike a logged over and replanted forest where trees are the same age. This forest has natural varieties of trees of all various stages of growth. Thankfully this area is forever protected and will never see a fallers chainsaw.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 pm 

Great shots Gary! That bear is a big one!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:05 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Looks amazing... nice bear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:05 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Sneaky bull elk as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:05 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Such a beautiful environment.

Blessings............Pastorjim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:16 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Awesome spots love the bear!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Cameratrapping aside, it's one of my favourite places to visit and explore.

The Squirrels and Marten have a constant presence there but the others not so much. Bears would be the most likely animal that you would come across followed by Elk and Cougar. Example, in a week all I got a pic of was a Marten. The Cougar hasn't passed by in over 3 weeks so I fully expect him very shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Good choice of site, Gary, and proof of your tracking skills. You saw that bare section on the mossy log, and knew exactly where the critters make their crossing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:32 am 
Emperor
Emperor

cameratrapcodger wrote:
Good choice of site, Gary, and proof of your tracking skills. You saw that bare section on the mossy log, and knew exactly where the critters make their crossing.

Actually Chris, there wasn't much tracking involved here this time but there was considerable thought put into this location. I knew for certain that a variety of animals used this particular section of trail, given all the signs to support that for me. Why I chose the fallen tree is because, well, it's a natural obstacle that animals have to pause for, step on or step over as well as travel along. At least long enough for me to get some clear footage. The small tree stands in the middle of the original trail. Animals can choose to walk past the standing tree on either side of it but wear on the fallen tree shows which side is the most popular choice. I also liked this spot because it's a high spot with an open view looking towards a meadow entrance point. A vantage spot for most animals I would think.

My hopes were to get an animal to place it's front paws atop the tree and pause a moment for me. I tried to accomplish that by placing a few dabs of Beaver castor on the standing tree. It worked perfectly for the Bear. Besides, I like to have animals stretch out, stand upright, elongate, jump or any other body position other than a typical walking position. The open view to the left in the background was also found to be appealing to the Cougar. The bull Elk just happened to find walking in the skunk cabbage off trail to his liking that day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I'll post a movie one of these days about a crossover log down here. I was hoping for clips of the animals stepping over the log (with the camera underneath it). It seemed like every animal stuck its face in the camera no matter what direction, and the bears pulled it out for a closer examination. It's hard to outsmart the critters.

All times are