Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:39 am

All times are

Post subject: My "not so" lucky day
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Now some despicable filthy rotten lowdown scoundrel has stolen one of my S600's today. Boy, this week sure has had its share of highs and lows. I think that I'll go hug my dog and thank my lucky stars that this week could have been worse :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:54 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Sorry to hear that buddy, I love your description, (of the scum) lol. I had one of mine turned off this week and l am still stewing on that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:32 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

That sucks, I have been very lucky, but loosing a 600 would make me hunt them down, they could have left you the card at least. I have lots of pictures of people and only lost one camera...found out later by a friend that they saw a camera that looked like mine at a garage sale about 15 mile from my area. I happen to go to that garage sale the next day and saw the cam and case....Talked to the dad about the camera and he said it was his sons, told him about the case and showed him photos of how I built them for proof , he was pissed and gave me the camera and case and I wished him luck with his son...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:49 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I had an S600 stolen as well this year. Luckily I had a guy find it, a guy that I barely new. Every year this guy who I have since become friends with stops at my office. I have showed him several of my cams I make. After the S600 went missing about two weeks later this same guy came in holding my cam. He said when he found it he new it was mine. Anyways I said who does this and brings a cam back they found? I said I felt i owed him now. So since he was drawn for mule deer in my area I kept my eyes open for a mule buck. As luck would have it on my way to work I spotted beast of a buck. I text him and he called me within minutes. He got him and it scored over 190 typical net. He now says he owes me .. lol ... hope you have similar luck as me Gary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:11 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

One of my L11 builds "disappeared" this year. In part it was my own fault since it was within sight of an old logging road. I don't mind losing the L11 but the board and the batteries are another matter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:48 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

So as it stands, 2 x S600's, 1 x P41, and 1 x Bushnell Trophy Cam. Believe me when I say that I get a lot of Bears visiting my cameras (see pic). Never lost one to any Bear or any other animal for that matter. I may have photographed 30-40 people I guess and have lost 4, need I say more!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:42 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Well, now that we're on bad luck stories, it's good to know there are a few happy endings.

Last year I pulled a camera I had set at a spring on a friend's property, and it had a note inside. The guy had pulled the card, downloaded all my pictures, and then put it back in the cam with a note, signed "da bear". It read, "It was brought to my attention recently by my neighbors Bpbcat, Raccoon, and Owl, amongst others, that a hidden camera had been placed in our community pool area. As Lord of this sacred place, concern has arisen that my dignity might have been placed into jeopardy if any compromising photos of myself should be leaked onto the internet. One of my minions has taken upon himself to investigate the contents of your camera files, and label anyone who may also have been affected as future witness. Happily your SD card has been returned intact."

This happened a couple hours ride from home, and my friend thinks the culprit is a local school teacher.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:09 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote:
The guy had pulled the card, downloaded all my pictures, and then put it back in the cam with a note

He mustn't have known that you can usually recover deleted photos on a card with several software programs -- as long as they haven't been overwritten. I use either Pandora Recovery or Recuva which are both free to download, if I can't get them with Pandora I try Recuva and can recover about 90% of the deleted photos (don't ask how they were deleted, I embarrass easily). So far I haven't needed to recover any videos (knock on wood). There are other file recovery programs, that may be just as good or even better, but those are the one's I've used.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:32 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Woody Meristem wrote:
Quote:
The guy had pulled the card, downloaded all my pictures, and then put it back in the cam with a note

He mustn't have known that you can usually recover deleted photos on a card with several software programs -- as long as they haven't been overwritten. I use either Pandora Recovery or Recuva which are both free to download, if I can't get them with Pandora I try Recuva and can recover about 90% of the deleted photos (don't ask how they were deleted, I embarrass easily). So far I haven't needed to recover any videos (knock on wood). There are other file recovery programs, that may be just as good or even better, but those are the one's I've used.

Good information Woody, as I recently deleted a couple of images of an endangered Bandicoot and l wish l had not, l don't know what l was thinking at the time

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:42 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[quote="westcocanuck2"]Now some despicable filthy rotten lowdown scoundrel has stolen one of my S600's today. Boy, this week sure has had its share of highs and lows. I think that I'll go hug my dog and thank my lucky stars that this week could have been worse :)[/quote]
That really sucks Gary but I like your attitude(especially hugging your dog..lol) I have been extremely lucky to have never had one stolen but in reality I know its only a matter of time. I do make extra effort to try and set the cams in areas off the beaten path. I also have to keep a written record where I place each cam as my aging brain tends to forget quite quickly.

All times are