Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:47 am

All times are



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ Array ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Fresnels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:17 am 
Offline
King
King

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:46 am
Posts: 459
Location: Australia
With the need more so now than before, I find it necessary to think more about camouflaging our cams. I can do a reasonable job if l spend some time making it/them blend in so both the game shy animals and the two legged thieves can't see it/them. Now my question is how do you hide a near white, round, bordering on spherical HPWA fresnel? The human eye picks up on anything round quicker than any other shape. I know if the fresnel is black, the control boards thinks it is night 24 hours. Is the answer paint the fresnel with a wash of a light brown or green? Commercial cams usually have brown coloured square cut curved fresnels. I can't recall ever seeing a near white coloured one. I know Gary (Snapshot Sniper) sells a flat long range fresnel, maybe this is the answer? I know Gary (westcocanuck2) lost one of his S600's this week, I can't help but wonder did the thief see the round near white fresnel sticking out like a beacon? I recently read a post about a micro build and yes it was tiny, so tiny that the fresnel stuck out like a sore thumb so much so that a comment was posted describing the HPWA as looking like the Hubble space telescope. Any suggestions, thoughts, comments, appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Fresnels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:35 am 
Offline
Emperor
Emperor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:33 am
Posts: 2143
Location: Northcentral PA
A number of years ago someone on the forum suggested drawing squiggly lines on a Fresnel with a black Sharpie. I've done that with all of mine and it really makes a difference in how visible they are at any distance. It doesn't affect the detection of the PIR either day or night. To my eye a white Fresnel with lines is less visible that a black Fresnel. A flat Fresnel is smaller than a HPWA but means the PIR must be set deeper into the case which reduces the space available for external batteries. Here are photos of Fresnels with the lines --


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
http://forestandfield.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Fresnels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline
King
King

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:46 am
Posts: 459
Location: Australia
Thanks Woody, I have done the squiggly lines and sure it has to make some difference, I am going to try a light wash of removable brown flat paint and see how that affects the performance of the fresnel.
I did notice in your two images the fresnel in the lock box with the "eyebrow" is noticably more difficult to "pickout" than the other.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Fresnels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:09 pm 
Offline
Emperor
Emperor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:33 am
Posts: 2143
Location: Northcentral PA
The Fresnel in the upper photo is flat with an old Yeti control board, the one in the lower photo is a HWPA. I really don't think it makes any difference in how visible the camera may be, once you're more than 30-35 feet from the camera neither one is very obvious. The shape and color of the camera case is, to me, the key to how visible or apparent the camera may be.

_________________
http://forestandfield.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Fresnels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:45 pm 
Offline
Galapagos
Galapagos
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 am
Posts: 189
Location: Mountain Home, Texas
On The Blue Special – Tbass had some mothwing/gray hpwa. You might PM him to see if he has any left. I purchased a few from him and they work great for me and they do not show up like the white one’s do. Here is a link to the sale and a photo of them.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Fresnels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline
Emperor
Emperor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:40 am
Posts: 1748
Hey Trevor, I do the same as Woody does but only with thicker bands of black marker. I have also covered the entire white lens with black marker. Any amount of black marker helps out and helps conceal it better. Even with the whole lens blacked out you can still easily see the red LED glow inside for the walk test. Same can't be said with the solid black HPWA lens that you buy that way. The flat Fresno lens works great but doesn't have the same detection width as the HPWA lens, that's all.

Not that I deserved it but it was my fault that the thief saw my camera. It was out in plain sight because a Bear had knocked off the moss that I had draped over it and I never replaced the moss the day before when I last checked it. The thief walked over a barricade to keep people out and walked along a Bear trail next to a Salmon bearing stream to find it. The strange thing is that I also had a Browning cam 3 ft. beside it and it had moss draped over it and the thief never saw that cam because of it. I've been way too complacent lately, both with my wildlife encounter last week and theft this week. Lesson learned :Hammer the hard way.

I know the best deterrent against theft it to make your camera as invisible as you can by camouflaging.

_________________
To greater appreciate an animal is to walk in its footsteps


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Fresnels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:43 pm 
Offline
King
King

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:46 am
Posts: 459
Location: Australia
westcocanuck2 wrote:
Hey Trevor, I do the same as Woody does but only with thicker bands of black marker. I have also covered the entire white lens with black marker. Any amount of black marker helps out and helps conceal it better. Even with the whole lens blacked out you can still easily see the red LED glow inside for the walk test. Same can't be said with the solid black HPWA lens that you buy that way. The flat Fresno lens works great but doesn't have the same detection width as the HPWA lens, that's all.

Not that I deserved it but it was my fault that the thief saw my camera. It was out in plain sight because a Bear had knocked off the moss that I had draped over it and I never replaced the moss the day before when I last checked it. The thief walked over a barricade to keep people out and walked along a Bear trail next to a Salmon bearing stream to find it. The strange thing is that I also had a Browning cam 3 ft. beside it and it had moss draped over it and the thief never saw that cam because of it. I've been way too complacent lately, both with my wildlife encounter last week and theft this week. Lesson learned :Hammer the hard way.

Gary, I take all that onboard. You may have read earlier this week l had a camera turned off that worried me as it was a brand new build and l did not have it in one of my usual lock boxes. I had three other cameras in the area l went and retreived them. I saw a utube clip about camouflage on cameras it was brilliant l will try and find it and post the link. Standby as it is worth looking at.

I know the best deterrent against theft it to make your camera as invisible as you can by camouflaging.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Fresnels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 pm 
Offline
King
King

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:46 am
Posts: 459
Location: Australia
skyhorse wrote:
On The Blue Special – Tbass had some mothwing/gray hpwa. You might PM him to see if he has any left. I purchased a few from him and they work great for me and they do not show up like the white one’s do. Here is a link to the sale and a photo of them.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446


I followed your links and see the fresnel is grey. I always wondered why they were white and thought that an odd colour. Perhaps they work fine in grey or green or brown. My tests l am currently doing will tell me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Fresnels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:11 pm 
Offline
King
King

Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:46 am
Posts: 459
Location: Australia
Camouflage trail camera........
https://youtu.be/ye18WnrKMpY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Fresnels
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:50 am 
Offline
Fledgling
Fledgling

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:34 am
Posts: 2
Location: Australia
I brush over mine with a watery paint mix. The paint is transparent but it takes the stark white appearance of the lens away. Doesn't appear to affect the sensitivity at all.
buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
With the need more so now than before, I find it necessary to think more about camouflaging our cams. I can do a reasonable job if l spend some time making it/them blend in so both the game shy animals and the two legged thieves can't see it/them. Now my question is how do you hide a near white, round, bordering on spherical HPWA fresnel? The human eye picks up on anything round quicker than any other shape. I know if the fresnel is black, the control boards thinks it is night 24 hours. Is the answer paint the fresnel with a wash of a light brown or green? Commercial cams usually have brown coloured square cut curved fresnels. I can't recall ever seeing a near white coloured one. I know Gary (Snapshot Sniper) sells a flat long range fresnel, maybe this is the answer? I know Gary (westcocanuck2) lost one of his S600's this week, I can't help but wonder did the thief see the round near white fresnel sticking out like a beacon? I recently read a post about a micro build and yes it was tiny, so tiny that the fresnel stuck out like a sore thumb so much so that a comment was posted describing the HPWA as looking like the Hubble space telescope. Any suggestions, thoughts, comments, appreciated.


Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ Array ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are


Who is online

Array


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group