Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 6:51 am

All times are

Post subject: Busy week for predators
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:04 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

What are pictures without a story right? I've since edited my original post to give a bit of insight into what yesterday was for me and my dog.

My hike out to my cams started off with my dog sniffing the twigs, leaves and ground along this lush green trail. She then squatted along the way several times to mark the trail. When she behaves like this it's most always due to 3 things. A Cougar, Wolf or a dog and it's unlikely that a dog would be walking along here. It wasn't long before I came to what looked like Wolf scat, then lots of Bear scat then Cougar tracks. I'm confused now because the track was definitely Cougar but the scat looked Wolf.......the plot thickens. All these signs set the stage for my up and coming day to be a good one. Soon I was at my cam and when I opened it up and saw all 3 top predators, I couldn't contain my excitement and yelled aloud. The Wolf came past on 2 seperate occasions and the Cougar and Bear once.

Next cam up was my Cougar on the mount set. I had expected to find the cam mauled by a Bear but instead. I was pleasantly surprised to find a Cougar portrait. Above the camera hanging off a branch tip was a ziploc bag I had placed there as a focal point to get the subject to look up at. My goal was to get the subject to stop atop the mound and look up to the bag. In the case of the cat, he turned sideways to walk around and avoid stepping over the camera. Which actually worked out better than my original plan, bonus to that. However, as the camtrapping gods would have it. 20 ft. away the Wolf had passed by the entrance to that trail and chose not to enter that trail. I know that it's only a matter of time before all of the subjects I'm after will walk past and over it. My hopes are that I get nice pictures of them and my concerns are that a Bear doesn't maul the cam or an Elk steps on it. I think that this cam placement should yield interesting results over time.

We now enter deeper into the rainforest which is lush with fresh Spring growth, everything is damp, a slight breeze is rustling the trees and branches and subtle noises surround us. 5 mins down this trail, my dog picks up an extremely fresh scent in the air. She strains her head high into the air and begins to let out a low but long drawn out growl. Followed by rapid body movements as to pick up a direction of the scent. Suddenly she hears something and goes nuts....barking, whining, growling and jumping up and down. She then focuses her attention straight ahead of us and that was more than enough for me. So I took this opportunity to turn a sharp left and she quickly followed suit and heeled beside me all the way. Lucky for us my next set was only a few hundred heavy forested feet away. Within minutes we came into an opening where my cam was and not too far off. Now we can see around us which gave me a sense of relief. I noticed right away that Wolf tracks are leading to the cam. I get to my cam, remove my pack, placed it on the ground and my dog lays beside it. As I was checking the cam my dog continued to growl while staring off up into the forest. Whatever was there is keeping very quiet and sweeping around us in the bush. Up until this point the likeliest suspect may have been a Bear but this type of behaviour is not typical at all of a Bear from my past experiences. It is typical of both a Cougar and a Wolf as I have had this happen to us both in the past. Seeing as my last cam check provided me with Wolf and Cougar. Naturally my mind is thinking of those 2 possabilities. However, after a few minutes all was quiet again and the dog settled down. The rest of the day proved uneventful and it was camtrapping as usual. I'm glad to see the return of the Wolf, albeit only one but after a month and a half hiatise, It was still a relief.

Judging by this cat's size, lack of scarring and slightly visible spots on its hind rear flank. I thought that it was a young one and a different one that was here only a few weeks earlier. The first pic is a double exposure of both cats standing in the exact same spot and almost in the identical leg position. Clearly 2 different cats and with fawning and calving season well under way. The predators are here in force.

Here are the results from that day:
vid cams #001 + #002 ..............2 Short Wolf videos
cam #003 ................................Elk, Deer and Bear
cam #004 ................................Elk and Bear
cam #005 ................................Bear, Cougar and Wolf
cam #006 ................................Cougar
cam #007 ................................Deer and Wolf

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Array

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 am 
Emperor
Emperor

That cat was puuuuuuurrrrfect!

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:26 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Awesome set of pictures!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:32 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Here are the pics from the set where we are out in the open and away from the cover of the bush. The 1st. pic I'm walking up to my cam while looking down at the Wolf tracks. You can see that a Wolf with it's hair colouring blends in very well with the shadows of the leafy bush. That Deer is living in a very hostile territory and has darn good reason to be cautious.

My hopes are with this set is to get nice clear pictures of all large forms of wildlife that live here.
The setup is:
Sony Nex3n
Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens
1.5v remote baby slave flash
Ralph's remote driveway motion sensor as a secondary sensor to broaden the detection zone

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:31 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Excellent stuff Gary; l liked your story. That is a fine cature - the puma. I see a bird in a couple of images, l am thinking what a strange place to be standing it looks wet?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:49 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

The pictures are super as always Gary. But the scenery sure adds to them. Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:57 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Great stuff, I especially like the mountain lion photos -- but that's just a personal preference.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Super.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:52 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks guys,
The bush you see is mostly the understory, it's called Salmonberry.

I spent most of last year concentrating on Wolves and had forgotten about my feline friends. This year the Cougar is on my agenda and I will be spending much of my efforts going after them once again.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:09 pm 
King
King

Cool pictures!

All times are