Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:03 am

All times are

Post subject: Fisher
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:16 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Stills and a video of fishers (not fisher cat!) -- https://forestandfield.blogspot.com/2020/01/fisher.html

Post subject: Re: Fisher
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:19 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I've always thought fishers were really cool animals.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:42 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I would imagine that they are bigger than a cat too, they look quite large.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:08 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Very interesting Woody..Here in Western Pa. I feel the Fishers are misunderstood...everybody seems to be threatened by them ...but I enjoy seeing and getting pics of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:14 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Yes, always an interesting animal and nice photos and video footage.. What I find especially interesting is that your photos are night photos and you also say that fishers are active at night. I've got a number of fisher photos in northern Minnesota over the years, and the daytime photos far outnumber the night photos. I wonder why that is. Perhaps their prey species here in MN are diurnal but not in PA?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:14 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Although I've both seen and photographed fishers in daylight, the vast majority of the camera trap images and videos I've gotten were at night.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:51 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Always great to see the fishers Woody. Marten, mink, and fishers are always a welcome sight to see for me.. glad you posted this ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:21 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Nice post and good pics, Woody. A few years ago Cal Fish & Wildlife reintroduced fishers just up the road from us on private timberland. They survived and bred. I live at 2500 ft which is a bit low and dry for fishers, but one passed through a year ago. They're always a welcome catch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:54 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Another inspirational and artful post - Thank You! Wish our state of Montana would show more sensibility when it comes to fisher and their existence here. Unfortunately, it seems to take extreme lack of fisher trapping records before our state gets the hint! Now, we may have only a few pockets where fisher reside along the Idaho border and maybe an island population here and there. The last recorded fisher trapped in our county was about 10 years ago - now they are gone. Fisher biologist says the habitat is not ideal here and that the re-introduced fisher genetics not ideal.

From the Internet: Fishers were extinct in Montana by the 1930's (Foresman 2012). Reintroduction efforts in 1959 and 1960 in Lincoln, Granite and Missoula counties resulted in the establishment of populations in those counties. More recent reintroductions were made in the Cabinet Mountains between 1988 and 1991 (Foresman 2012). The species is currently managed as a furbearer with a limited harvest of 7 animals. Consult Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks for current trapping regulations. Additional information concerning Fisher management can be found in Ruggiero et al. (1994).

On October 5, 2017, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service determined that Fisher in the Northern Rocky Mountains of western Montana, central and northern Idaho, and possibly northeastern Washington does not warrant listing under the Endangered Species Act at this time (USFWS 2017). Additional information on the species' management can be found on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Species Account.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:05 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Unfortunately, Montana seems to one of the states where the only good predator is a dead one -- witness Montana's attitude toward wolves and grizzly bears and its "management" of those two species. There are lots of Pennsylvanians who are only one step behind and can't stand any predators except those humans that hunt or trap -- enlightenment comes very slowly. Fishers were gradually returning to Pennsylvania from both New York and West Virginia at about the time wild-caught fishers from New Hampshire were released at a number of sites in the state. Now fishers occupy most of the state, even in areas without what is normally considered suitable habitat. Our fisher population seems to be quite capable of supporting the current trapping season, hopefully it will stay that way.

All times are