Hooter Magic

Miscellaneous Topics
cameratrapcodger

Hooter Magic

Post by cameratrapcodger »

I was up at 6:30. It was barely getting light when I checked my camera at the bird bath to make sure the flood lights were actually working. A great horned owl was hooting from the south ridge near my neighbors house about a quarter mile away. What a treat! I cupped my hands and called back. No answer. I tried again. Still no answer.

I chuckled while making coffee: my hooting had scared him away. Maybe he was a young whippersnapper testing the waters, declaring territory that wasn't his. Twenty minutes had passed when I heard him call very close to the house. He was stalking the phantom hooter who was now stirring mush in the kitchen. What a thrill! I eased the noisy screen door open and stepped out the back door to hoot back. He was in the live oaks just below the potting shed, and I could hear the lovely tremelo in his second note: who-whoooo-who-who. I paused before calling back, and a moment later watched him fly into a oak about 50 feet away. I got my wife to come out -- and she actually saw his white throat patch the next time he flew. (My eyes aren't that good.)

He kept up the calling, trying to find me until 7:40, working the north and south sides of the house. But the phantom hooter was working silently at his computer downloading photos.
westcocanuck2

Re: Hooter Magic

Post by westcocanuck2 »

Well done Chris.
To greater appreciate an animal you have to walk in their footsteps
Woody Meristem

Post by Woody Meristem »

Looks like you sound like a wise old owl -- at least to another owl.
buckhuntertrailcam

Post by buckhuntertrailcam »

Hey that's a fun story.
www.trevorwillistaxidermy.com
Vimeo: Trevor Willis