Just out of curiosity

Miscellaneous Topics
cameratrapcodger

Just out of curiosity

Post by cameratrapcodger »

Does anyone here use Google Earth to map their trail camera locations? It's easy to do, and its pretty handy if you add photos of your set and/or your photo captures. You don;t have to show the whole world either. Set it up for personal use. I find its a great way to refresh my memory about old forgotten locations. Exploring the landscape with it is a lot of fun and can eat up your time.
Woody Meristem

Re: Just out of curiosity

Post by Woody Meristem »

I don't use GoogleEarth, but do use MapTech's Terrain Navigator, software that's based on USGS topo maps. However, I do use Google Earth to calculate acreages and sometimes distances.
-jeff

Post by -jeff »

I service a lot of remote cameras. Many in areas with no cell coverage. With Google Earth or Streets I would need to be in cell range for it to work. I use a app on my phone and tablet called OSMAND. The maps are resident on the phone so no need for cell service. It has a breadcrumbs feature that stores a track of your trip.
buckhuntertrailcam

Post by buckhuntertrailcam »

I just use my handheld Garmin GPS to mark my sets and later find my cameras that may have been there up to 12 months. When I get back into the office I transfer all the way points from the day onto the programme/app. Base camp. If l do have service l use Google maps.
www.trevorwillistaxidermy.com
Vimeo: Trevor Willis
cliffw

Post by cliffw »

I also use a garmin GPS and download to google earth when home.. Anyone would be able to find my cameras if if something happens to me by using my GPS.
buckhuntertrailcam

Post by buckhuntertrailcam »

cliffw wrote:I also use a garmin GPS and download to google earth when home.. Anyone would be able to find my cameras if if something happens to me by using my GPS.
Mine too.
www.trevorwillistaxidermy.com
Vimeo: Trevor Willis
cameratrapcodger

Post by cameratrapcodger »

Thanks guys. That helps. I find the maps a lot of fun, and helpful in getting to know the lay of the land.