All in a days work.

Miscellaneous Topics
cameratrapcodger

Re: All in a days work.

Post by cameratrapcodger »

Always good to remove the wedding ring when stung on the hand by wasps. A badly swollen hand can cut off circulation to the ring finger, and then you'll have to get someone to saw it off with a dremel tool.
-jeff

Post by -jeff »

cameratrapcodger wrote:Always good to remove the wedding ring when stung on the hand by wasps. A badly swollen hand can cut off circulation to the ring finger, and then you'll have to get someone to saw it off with a dremel tool.
Good advice. Sawing a finger off with a Dremel would be a painful experience. :)
I wore a ring on my wedding day in 1978. Since then, no rings or watch.
buckhuntertrailcam

Post by buckhuntertrailcam »

-jeff wrote:
cameratrapcodger wrote:Always good to remove the wedding ring when stung on the hand by wasps. A badly swollen hand can cut off circulation to the ring finger, and then you'll have to get someone to saw it off with a dremel tool.
Good advice. Sawing a finger off with a Dremel would be a painful experience. :)
I wore a ring on my wedding day in 1978. Since then, no rings or watch.
I agree, cutting off a finger with a dremel would be messy. No wedding ring for me either since I got it caught and almost had my finger ripped out of the socket :rofll
www.trevorwillistaxidermy.com
Vimeo: Trevor Willis
-jeff

Post by -jeff »

Installing livestream cameras continues to be a big part of the business. A few years ago I installed a Hikvision 4K PTZ camera on a 18' steel pole for a customer. The camera worked good but the big problem was it would not tilt up much over 0 degrees. That would be ok if the camera was installed 100' up and looking down. But at 18' it was a problem. So the customer ordered a new Dahua 8A840WANF 4K PTZ from me to be installed on a new 35' wood pole.

Here is a picture of the old setup.

The customer had the local power company install the new 35' pole and the phone company installed fiber to the pole along with fiber to the office supporting gigabit internet. My end of the installation started in January. In Nebraska, January weather can be 50 degrees and sunny or below zero, windy and snowy. A weather window opened where I had one day of 45 degrees, sunny and no wind. A rare day indeed. The forecast for the next day was cold, cloudy and 45-55mph wind. The customer was nice enough to rent a bucket lift for the day.

That's my drill with a dead battery up there sticking out of the pole. Of course it was the last hole I needed to drill and was almost done when it went dead.

The setup on the pole is a 6" channel where I fabricated a 2" x 6" x 6" box to hold the camera with room inside to hold the wiring. There is a 1" PVC conduit from the camera box to the equipment housing below. There is a 36" lightning rod on top and a solid copper wire going to a 10" rod in the ground. The dish is a 5ghz Ubiquiti link to a camera live streaming an active beaver lodge about a quarter mile away.

The lower camera mount is for a Dahua 4K static camera to be installed later. In the equipment housing there is a Ubiquiti 8 port ToughSwitch to handle the power to the link dish and YouTube server.

The installation was completed by sundown and the next day did indeed show up with 50 mph winds and cold.

It was then decided that this would be a great place to install a couple of directional access points to provide backhaul for a camera trailer that I built for them and to install the 4K static camera. So, watching the weather, I returned the first week in February.

It was a frosty morning, 20 degrees but no wind. The picture below is a DSLR timelapse camera installed on the pole.

While working on the pole, a ruff legged hawk would site on the pole and watch me work. Beautiful bird to see up close.

I installed the two access points and the static camera, did some final leveling to the PTZ camera and installed linemans steps so I won't need the bucket lift to service the camera. Then, called it quits for the day.

Here is a link to the live camera and some information about the customer and purpose of the camera. https://cranetrust.org/who-we-are/river-cam.html
cameratrapcodger

Impressive work and a good cause. Thanks for posting.
-jeff

Post by -jeff »

CES 2022 was held in Vegas again this year after a virtual CES for 2021. It's always fun to see the latest electronics gadgets the creative manufacturers are trying to bring to market. Many of the products are prototype and may never make to market. This year was no exception. CES is usually a time for camera manufacturers to introduce new models and it's a great time to get hands on experience with the cameras and talk to the manufacturers representatives.

I started attending the show in 1998 when it was moved from Chicago to Las Vegas. Previous years the crowd numbers were high and the exhibit area was so tight that seeing everything was almost impossible. I spend the four days from opening to close on the floor and know that I am not going to see it all. This year crowd numbers were down considerably and the show floor was laid out for social distancing. Lots of room between exhibits, wider isles and lots of open space in the halls made it much more enjoyable. At the last minute, CES decided to cut a day from the show schedule. With the lower number of manufacturers and attendees, I think I was able to see about everything in three days. The whole experience this year was actually better than years past.

BUT, the main reason I attend is to see the latest in camera technology. This year I was disappointed to find Sony brought their electric car, a new satellite technology and a few other items. No cameras at all. Canon did the same. No cameras. Same with Panasonic. Nikon backed out of the show just a few days prior to the opening.

Even with the lack of consumer cameras, camera technology was present at the show. AI was present in many of the products. AI based on camera technology. From self driving cars to security systems to home automation to cameras in your refrigerator that will tell you when you are out of milk. There was a exhibit that had an automated pet feeder that would only open when the correct pet would show itself. Past years this product line used a tag on the collar of the animal. Now it recognizes the face of the pet. Useful when you have multiple pets with different diet requirements.

Another technology that was present for the first time was restaurant automation. From ordering to food delivery to the table, it was all done by robots. I guess they work cheaper, no vacation, no workmans comp, no social security and hopefully, no tipping. The underlying technology is all based around camera AI.

Seeing all the AI products makes me wonder what we are going to do with all the displaced workforce. If I was a kid in high school and had a technical aptitude, I think getting into electrical, mechanical or computer engineering and specializing in robotics would be a good career choice.

So, here are a few pictures of some of the products at the show.

Electric vehicles were everywhere. Cars, bicycles, motorcycles, airplanes, tractors, etc.

That's about it. Looking forward to next year!
cameratrapcodger

Thank you Jeff. Seems the sky is the limit these days, but it's kinda sad that cameras now are just means to other ends. I am guessing the trail camera industry does NOT make time to participate in the event. Makes you wonder if they've "gone about as fur as they can go".
-jeff

Post by -jeff »

Trail cameras have been here in the past. This year there was very little representation of the Chinese electronics industry. There were a few of the large Chinese companies, but the smaller companies were gone.
ghosthunters

Post by ghosthunters »

Very interesting to see the direction things go or are going. Lots of electrical. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-jeff

Post by -jeff »

A few years ago a photographer/friend /customer started exploring the feasibility of following the migration of the endangered whooping crane from the nesting ground in south Texas to the summer home in Alberta and Northwest Territories of Canada. The plan was to follow the same route in a airplane, low and slow, to make a continuous aerial photo of the route. The plan was to do this last year but, covid and a closed border got in the way.

Friday the first of April the journey will begin. The photographer is Michael Forsberg (https://www.michaelforsberg.com/). He will be flying with Chris Boyer of Kestrel Aerial Services (https://www.kestrelaerial.com/). I will be providing ground support and camera tech. Mike and I will leave Nebraska on Friday and Chris will leave Bozeman, MT Thursday. We will meet in Rockport, TX to begin the trek north.

My plan is to post a daily update here time permitting. I hope to meet Daryl (ghosthunters) while crossing Saskatchewan and any other camera trappers that might be close to the path.