Gallery of Rogues

Post Images and Videos From Your Homebrews (Please Include Make And Model Of Camera)
cameratrapcodger

Gallery of Rogues

Post by cameratrapcodger »

In addition to white markings or blazes on the throat and chest, I've been able to identify older males by scars on the head. The scalp seems to accumulate pock marks and slashes with time, and the muzzle also takes its share of punishment. Then there are animals that go blind in one eye, or at least have impaired vision, seen as low reflectance of IR light from trail cameras. In daylight it is harder to see the eye defects unless photos are taken with DSLR and at close range. Here are some taken over the past 7 years. These scarred rogues are evidence of misadventures we rarely capture with our cameras, but also a good reason to keep on trying.
Gallery-of-Rogues.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
westcocanuck2

Re: Gallery of Rogues

Post by westcocanuck2 »

They play for keeps and those scars are proof of that. Nicely documented Chris.
To greater appreciate an animal you have to walk in their footsteps
pastorjim08

Post by pastorjim08 »

I guess it's a rough world out there for bears. Nice work on your part.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Religion is mans attempt to get to a god. Christianity is God's attempt to get to mankind
Woody Meristem

Post by Woody Meristem »

Good images of the scars they get from disputes with other boy bears; they play rough. Here's one of our neighbors showing his scars in 2015.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cameratrapcodger

Post by cameratrapcodger »

Glad you liked them. Woody, that is one real jug-headed bear with battle scars.

I haven;t found any good videos of black bear fights on YouTube, but there are some excellent videos of grizzly and European brown bear.
This is the famous grizzly fight taken by Timothy Treadwell. Aside from its sheer ferocity you get a pretty clear idea how they get those head and muzzle scars. The neck must also get badly scarred because it is the main biting target. You just can;t see the marks through the long hair. I'm guessing black bears fight the same way.
buckhuntertrailcam

Post by buckhuntertrailcam »

Here's a different angle on it. As a professional taxidermist of 40 years who specializes in Notrh American lifesize mammals l deal with these scars every day in our studio. They are a nuisance and whilst not a problem with younger bears they certainly make our job a lot more difficult.
Great variation of boof headed bears there, well done with accumulating those. :Bow
www.trevorwillistaxidermy.com
Vimeo: Trevor Willis
Woody Meristem

Post by Woody Meristem »

that is one real jug-headed bear with battle scars
He certainly was, I first photographed him in May 2005 when he was at least three years old, quite probably four years old. He was caught on one of my camera traps in October 2013 when I estimated his weight at around 500 pounds. Apparently the same bear was killed during bear season in November 2016 and weighed a bit more than 640 pounds when weighed at the check station.