Hagshouse and DIY Trailcams?

Miscellaneous Topics
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Anyone know what's up with these 2 forums? Neither one are showing up anymore. Just wondering if the guys closed them down due to lack of interest. I really used those sites for looking up info. Sad to see them go if they are gone.
ghosthunters

Re: Hagshouse and DIY Trailcams?

Post by ghosthunters »

I am not sure .. but I know they slowed over the last 3 years. To the point this site is the only one I visit .. I wish I would started into homebrew and DSLR earlier .. woulda been nice to gain all that knowledge the pioneers had. I think it’s life has just got so busy nowadays. Sad .. I musta got into all this stuff in the wrong era .. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Woody Meristem

Post by Woody Meristem »

Buckshot 164 (Charles Garrett) who ran DIY Trailcams once posted implying that he was having significant vision problems so I assume he shut it down. He'd posted a lot of YouTube videos on camera hacks and they seem to still be on YouTube.

I don't know about Hags, but I assume the general lack of interest in homebrews was a cause. I know I won't be purchasing any more cameras to hack and now find that the commercial cameras I have, even the really inexpensive ones, are every bit as good as my homebrews (S40, S600, L11, P32 and VG140). Hopefully the two remaining providers of boards and parts will keep going, but they may be the next to go.
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Just something about hacking a camera and getting pics that is way more satisfying than buying a commercial camera. Sad to see it die off like it has. Was a lot of fun back in the day.
-jeff

Post by -jeff »

This is a great thread. Thank you Gumby for starting it. I don't see building camera traps dying off. I see the hobby shifting with camera technology. Willy saw that a few years ago when he added a DSLR section to the forum. It is true, commercial trail cameras have come a long way with advances in sensor technology and the price reductions that mass production brings. The image and video quality is really pretty good now. But I don't see them reaching the quality of a DSLR or mirrorless cameras any time soon. Plus the DSLR and mirrorless camera traps give the user much more freedom in lens selection, camera settings, lighting and composition.

A quick look at eBay shows early Canon DSLR cameras going in the $50-$75 range with a kit lens. No hacking involved. Just plug the controller into the shutter port, put the camera in a housing and you are in business. Then it's easy to add a couple flashes for night images.

As for the future of camtrapper.com? I think the future is good. But, keep in mind, camtrapper.com belongs to the users. Not me. I am just the caretaker for awhile. When I get too old to pound on the keyboard, it will be passed on to another caretaker. So, any suggestions on topics to add or consolidate will be appreciated to keep the forum viable into the future.
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Guess I better get my butt in gear and check out the DSLR builds this winter. It's hunting season here so no time for building!
bigbassmann

Post by bigbassmann »

Thanks for the thread Gumby. I seldom go to Hags House or DIY Trail Cams or even here for that matter but a couple of days ago I tried to go to the other 2 forums and they were down. Tried again this morning and the same thing so I decided to come here to see if someone had posted anything about them and sure enough, here it is.

As Jeff has already stated, the hobby has taken a shift over the past few years, more towards DSLR instead of the old standby point and shoot cameras that the hobby was oriented towards when I first got started back around 2009. Jeff has a wealth of knowledge about the DSLR cameras, way more than I will ever know for sure.
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Hey Ralph you've done more than your share to keep the trailcam building alive. I use a lot of your hack videos whenever I have to do some repairs or when I have the urge to build a new one. I hope you keep checking in now and again! Hope all is well with you and your family!
ghosthunters

Post by ghosthunters »

I will build as long as the control boards are there to do so. I built and use a lot of hombrews. I enjoy building and making cams. There is something about building something that ends up taking amazing photos once completed. I still do not own a commercial cam.

I recently got into DSLR and this allows me to keep building once again. Like Jeff said the quality is hard to beat. I only wish I woulda got into it earlier. But I am in it now and will now continue to build on … thanks to all for their knowledge on this site. The amount of information in one place is amazing … thanks to all that continue to contribute..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk