Rough cost for build

shedhiker

Rough cost for build

Post by shedhiker »

What would be a rough cost for a build? I know that leaves a lot of options hanging out there. I have a Nikon D5100 I plan to use. So the rest would be the cost involved in two flashes, boards, housings, etc....🤷‍♂️💰💰
ghosthunters

Re: Rough cost for build

Post by ghosthunters »

Its not cheap .. I may as well say it. Lol… I would not worry about the cost if you are serious about building one. Some guys use plastic bags for their flashes and others like me make elaborate cases for the camera housing and flash housing. It’s what You want in a camera trap. Price out flashes on eBay .. they are not cheap but they are what you need. Price out cases if you decide to go that route. Once you are into it the enjoyment of the high quality pics overwhelms all other stuff like cost.

Again it’s what ever you want in a build. Make it cheap as you want or as elaborate as you want.

I am new to this (less than a year) but I have learnt a lot. Only certain cameras work for DSLR camera traps. Make sure yours does. There are lists on the forum that tells what ones work. I have a a few D5200’s and I know D5300’s work … but perhaps D5100 does as well. I also have D3100, 3200 and 3300.

There is something about building a build that gathers pics .. especially quality pics. There is Lots of info on here ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shedhiker

Post by shedhiker »

Awesome! Thank you for your reply :) I wasn't expecting it to be cheap. I'll just have to chip away at it once I develop the list of materials I need.
-jeff

Post by -jeff »

Start with a basic daytime camera trap and work into flashes as you learn. Go with a housing that is large enough to grow into. Add, a good internal PIR to control the camera. Add a lens window and hood and you are ready to start experimenting. Down the road you can add an external PIR or active IR motion sensor, a flash or two or three, etc.

There are many talented camera trappers here, so ask any questions you have.
shedhiker

Post by shedhiker »

Thank you. Is there a link in here somewhere for places to buy the PIR? I haven't had a chunk of time just yet to sit and search on here yet. It's driving me nuts lol. I should be sleeping right now since I work nights tonight 🤦‍♂️
ghosthunters

Rough cost for build

Post by ghosthunters »

shedhiker wrote:Awesome! Thank you for your reply :) I wasn't expecting it to be cheap. I'll just have to chip away at it once I develop the list of materials I need.
No problem…I like to help. Ask as many questions as needed. I went through the same process as you are. It’s tough when first starting out to make sure you spend only as needed. I will answer any questions to the best of my ability …

I went with cases due to the animals I am targeting. Elk are tough on cases. Also … Like Jeff states a built in PIR is easy and lessons the complications. Plus it gets you in action quickly.

What I did is look at others builds and expanded on their ideas or used their ideas. Altered things here and there to fit into what I thought I needed. Building in my mind is half the fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk